Chapter 3

The next few weeks continued of the same routine where I woke up and went to school, only to return to the same empty home, lunch seemingly my only nourishment but none had known this other than my own mother who had abandoned me for her studies in college. As this time went by, I believed I could accomplish whatever desire I wish for myself, even if that meant ignoring my menial work that was assigned each day to me. I found though, after the first report of my experience in the arts of knowledge that my mother would only come to chastise me and tell me I was like my father whom she claimed was lazy, useless, or needed special education. This routine wore away at my young mind and I began to realize how I felt. I felt sad. Lonely. Robbed of the very joy that I had only obtained for so little time compared to this nightmarish world that only continued to rob me of whatever else I cared for, first taking my father, then my mother, and now what little left of my happiness remained. I realized I no longer smiled.I sat in class and worked on what work would have been assigned to me for the later times and what was given in class, finishing this and turning it in. I had become the fastest over the course of days due to the lack of interaction with people, and thus had learned more from the lessons, but at a cost that no child should bear. Until that day, when I had sat back down, I stared at my desk waiting for the familiar sound of the ringing to release me to my next class, until a girl approached me, a hand in hers as her friend came with. I looked up at them as they stood in front of me. The girl to my left was one with beautiful blonde hair with streaks of brown, her eyes a bright blue behind glasses, a book under her arm, a body that was frail like my own. The girl to my right was one with red hair, her eyes dark brown, deep and intense yet held gentleness in them, her body more defined than her counterpart who I realized seem to oppose her physically in stature. The girl with the blonde hair spoke, her voice whiny, as if someone added an extra pitch to her already high voice. "Hi! My name's Olivia! My friend and I noticed you've sat here all by yourself since the first day and.... we wanted to know if you wanted to be our friend?" I looked at the two blankly at first, not understanding quite what this meant as no one had ever referred to me as something as important as 'friend'. The other girl piped up this time, her voice slightly smoother, calmer, "A friend? You know, people who you do things with and play with! Do you.... not know how to or something?" My eyes slowly began to light up and the smile I had lost crept across my face as I looked at them, and I quickly stood up and hugged them, small tears running down my face, the two giving confused yet happy looks. I spoke, my voice cracking with higher pitch than usual. "Please, please... I would love to be your friend. My names Jack." I heard the reply of the red haired girl while I felt hands on my back, comforting me in a manner I thought I had long lost. "My names Robin. It's nice to meet you Jack." That day when recess had come, instead of confining myself to sitting, we played a game called 'The Dragon Game' where we ran and pretended to fight mythical beasts only described and empowered by books. I hadn't known well at first but I began to throw my own ideas by shaping more worlds than the one we had created, our game growing far beyond what many would call 'normal'. Even then, we laughed and played as if the reality of our own 'world' held no power over us, as if gravity had not existed and the people and events in my own life ceased to be. To them, it was merely a game with 2 other friends whom could probably be easily replaceable but to me, It was everything. It was all I had. I treasured it, beyond their comprehension and my own as I devoted myself to trying to instill feelings of remaining friends for more years as to mend my injured heart. I hoped then, that all this would remain for me in the future, a place to call 'home' but how naive I had been as life continued its onslaught of me, giving me false pretense where I should have taken caution in placing my heart.I returned that day to my home with a smile plastered across my face that shown the world that my views had once again changed since I was still so malleable. I had ignored that loneliness and silence of my home and instead of going to bed, thought more and more of those amazing, inspiring worlds that existed within my own mind. Even more so, I learned that day to create an imaginary friend whom comforted me with the most humblest approaches to make me happy despite only being a figment of my mind. Her name I have long forgotten, but the hope my mind, my imagination gave me would push me forward to try my hardest to make even more friends. Even if that trial was the hardest, I would try my best, even if it cost me something important.