Chapter 10

After that day, life around me changed, people began to approach me, talk to me, to comfort and even to try and be my friend, teachers began to give me talks on life, my parents began to involve themselves with me. Had I not already been the way that I was, I might've appreciated all of it, maybe not felt the full force of the pain that sat inside me. Though now, I had long left the spectrum of life and became someone that merely watched them, and stopped them before they got close to me. That is until the day I saw HER.I walked through the hallway calmly as the crowd of kids passed around me, going to and from, keeping my eyes forward as I went to class. I ignored everyone as the talking and laughter filled the air, the sounds of fun seeming so foreign to me now. That is until I heard something slam into something hollow, metallic, and the sound of a high pitched scream. I stopped in the crowd that seemed to ignore this cry, and went to me left, heading for the section where lockers were. When I cleared the crowd of moving people, I turned the corner and saw a girl with Auburn hair sticking out in multiple places, crying while holding her head as glasses lay shattered on the hard concrete ground, a girl standing above her, sneering with a cold glare, her clothes a little more wrinkled from the lack of caring. She leaned down, as I walked toward her, her view only placed on the girl, myself behind the abuser."So bitch... you think you're all that and can just do whatever you want? I run this school. If you ever look at me wrong, I'll fucking cut you."I placed my hand on her shoulder, and she turned, giving me a very cold glare as she stood, swatting my hand away, her stance now taken as to oppose me. She looked me up and down before she smiled."What does a scrawny, wimpy, piece of useless shit like you want? Can't you see I'm marking my territory?!"I sighed, my vacant stare directed at the ground as I heard her scoff in victory. I could already tell what kind of punishment would most likely occur for this girl, from what I heard, had done nothing wrong. I looked up again and the girl raised her hands, her palms open, and motioned for me to say something or to do something. I flexed my arms and the sound of popping and snapping filled the air a moment and her eyes went wide. I then cracked my neck to the right side and looked at her, seeing she was now being filled with uncertainty."I was always taught to not hit a girl...."I took a step toward her and she took one back, her eyes beginning to grow fearful of me, my words setting in slowly as she began to realize the mistake she had made. I spoke again, my voice smooth, and smiled sinisterly with my own intent to harm."But dogs need a good beating sometimes.... isn't that right.... bitch?"I could see in her, her heart sinking in fear as her legs began to shake, turning quickly and running as I was upon her. The girl with the auburn hair stared at me in fear from seeing the spectacle I had done, her eyes also filled with fear, but knowing she could not see, she could wouldn't run as she didn't want the same fate to occur. Except I reached my hand to her and stopped smiling, my eyes growing calm and dark again as I stared at her."You ok?"She stopped looking fearful and her eyes opened in a sense of wonder, security, and relief as she seemed to stare and try to focus her eyes on her dark savior. She slowly reached, her hand smaller than mine, a fragility to her touch as I hoisted her up without resistance, not afraid if I might hurt her. She wiped her self off as I picked up her broken glasses and handed them to her. I turned to leave before I felt a hand grab my shirt, insistent on not letting me leave. I heard a soft, gentle voice behind me."Thank you... I'm.... Alley. Whats your name?" I didn't acknowledge her at first, already tired from having to waste my time when I could have been in class, finishing an assignment or getting the one for tomorrow. I shook my head at the idea. I could always finish within 10 minutes, so it didn't matter what time I got there. I turned, her hand letting go of my shirt as I saw her slowly pull out another pair of glasses."I'm Jack."I stared at her intensely though with no intent to do or cause anything. When she put on her glasses though, large frames with thick lenses, she gave a small look of fear before I snorted at her appearance. She was the text book picture of what one would define as a 'nerd' if they hadn't known what a person was like. She gave me a look of small offense when I began to laugh heartily at her appearance."You look so stupid! Hahahaha!"I continued to laugh for a while, tears in my eyes when I was finished, wiping my eyes as looked at her. She gave a slight dejected look from my reaction to her appearance, and even more so at the amount of time I spent laughing. I pat her on the head to show comfort and turned, leaving her there to her own devices. I didn't care what she did, who she was, or why she was in that school. All I cared about by this point was making sure no one ended up like me. Sad to say though, when school had ended that day, I found that her schedule coincided with mine on many basis's. 6 periods out of 7 I had with her. Each time I saw her, she made a bee line straight for the seat next to mine and sat next to me, giving me a goofy smile that gave me assurance that she would not stop following me. It was the first person who made me their friend, while I was like this. Even still, I did not want to admit this made me a little happy.