Chapter Seven: I Am Being Myself!

When I hear the words "Tennessee" I think his statement is part of some sick, twisted joke. But then I see the look on his face and realize it isn't.

Sebastian and I don't say anything for what seems like ages. Then Sebastian speaks up.

"What!?" He yells. "Why!?"

"I've already told you why-"

"Yes, I understand why but...why? Why there, why can't it be somewhere else!? Come on, Pops I'll go...anywhere but there, I'm practically begging here!"

Garrett smiles widely at Sebastian's plea, "You're desperation is all the more reason to make you go. It will be fun--the warm...moist air, the...wild animals, acres and acres of your mother's farm land."

"Wait...farm land? We aren't staying in...in Memphis or some other actual city? In a hotel?" I'm trying not to sound desperate as well but at this point anything is worth not having to go spend time on a farm with Sebastian Harrison. And even so, none of this still makes any sense!

He laughs at both of us, "I knew the sound of 'farm land' would throw you off, but it is true. My ex-wife, Fiona, bought about a hundred acres of land after our divorce over a decade ago to try and "find herself." I guess it's some type of way to...to connect herself in ways she hadn't before. I don't know what's wrong with that woman. The point is, she is purposefully isolated from the rest of the world in an attempt to stay out of the lime light and live a rural lifestyle. And although her and I have our differences, I find that mentality to be quite commendable. And useful."

It's like I can taste the grass and smell the cow shit already. I had known before that Fiona was one to separate herself from everyone, but given instruction not to bother myself with her by Garrett himself, I never looked into her in depth. All I know, from what Garrett has told me, is that she is very "oppositional." And that scares me a bit.

While Garrett was talking about Fiona, I saw a pang of irritation cross Sebastian's facial features at the sound of his mother's name. It is obvious to me now what the relationship he has with his mother is like.

Not too favorable.

"Your behavior today is the same reason why we are going through this. You're embarrassing not only yourself, but myself, and everyone else affiliated with you. Despite my warning, you still continue to put your well being in jeopardy. The girls, the intoxication, the mere opera fiasco that is plastered everywhere--by the way, Leslie don't make a statement on that yet, wait until the woman's representatives call you."

I manage to nod even though I feel like I'm going to faint.

"It just shows me that a break from all of this," he gestures to the Los Angeles skyline, "would do you good. A month perhaps."

"A month!?" Sebastian and I both yell at the same time. From there, we go into a frantic explanation on why this is a horrible idea. You can't even understand what we're both saying, it's just gibberish as we try to speak over each other.

Garrett holds is hand up while closing his eyes for a moment, and we both stop talking.

"One month. I think that's enough time to get your act together. And plus, you'll have your brothers and sister there for support."

"What?" Sebastian is frowning so hard his eyes almost disappear beneath his eyebrows.

"Your mother's idea. She figured that inviting them over for support-slash-family bonding vacation time would be absolutely wonderful. Besides, your siblings love you very much." His voice is so patronizing it makes me uncomfortable.

"Patrick hates me, William is a condescending asshole and Elizabeth treats me like I'm still twelve."

"That isn't my problem," I can see Garrett is fed up with our excuses, so I keep quiet. "My problem is making sure that the Board, and everyone else, doesn't laugh at me when I present you as the future of Harrison Inc. in one month or so. Maybe this whole thing will help you mend ties with your family, maybe get to the root of your unnecessary hostility towards us."