Chapter Thirteen: The Promise

-Sebastian Harrison-

September 13th, 1996, Downtown Los Angeles, California

*******************

"Remember, Sebastian. Don't say anything stupid. This is a family affair."

Everyone in the limo is silent, and the moment my eyes look up from my fumbling fingers I catch them all starring at me. My father, who is wearing a serious and stern look, waiting for me to respond, and William, who is playing with his braces, Patrick, who takes his eyes off of his book, and Elizabeth who's doe eyes are practically trying to pry into my soul. Even my mother who barely gives me the time of day is peering up at me from over her compact mirror. My heart tightens in my chest and I nod once at my father.

He scoffs, "Figures. Can't even form an entire sentence."

"He barely talks anyway," William says, reaching for his CD walk-man before my mother smacks his hand.

"I do talk," I mumble.

"What was that? Speak up, Sebastian," my father orders.

"I said, I do talk," I say louder. He just rolls his eyes, and everyone resumes what they were doing before my father decided to warn me about saying something stupid. Elizabeth continues to read her magazine and basically fawn over *NSYNC and my mother fixes her already perfect makeup in her mirror. And again, I'm left to look around awkwardly for some type of occupation to pass the time before we reach the ballroom, where my father's company is holding their annual charity dinner.

I look up again at my older brother, Patrick, who continues to read his book across from me, titled A Farewell to Arms.

I lean over slightly, "What are you...reading?" I ask lightly in an attempt to strike up conversation, even though I've read the book.

His eyes shift up to me from above the book and only give me a hateful glare.

"Why do you care?" He asks.

"I-I was just asking."

"You can obviously see the title of the book on the front here," he points to the cover.

My face grows hot, "I know I-I-just wanted to know what it was about."

He begins reading again, "If you would stop pestering me with stupid questions and let me read, I could possibly tell you when I finish."

For some odd reason, I think it's a good idea to continue and try to win over Patrick, when I know deep in my heart that I'll never gain his approval.

"Have-have you gotten to the part where he escapes and jumps in the river?"

Patrick pauses.

He frowns deeply at me and lowers the book, "No. I haven't," he growls before closing the book shut dramatically and throwing it on the empty seat next to him, gazing out of the window angrily. I sink further in my own seat.

"Sebastian, fix your posture, you don't want to gain a hunch-back when you grow older," my mother says. I sit up straight.

"And Sebastian fix your suit," she groans. "It's too expensive to look like a cheap Macy's purchase on you."

"It's because he's so skinny," my father adds. "No matter what you put him in, it won't look flattering."

I play with my fingers again after adjusting my tie and trying my best to please my mother with the suit on my body, with no victory.

"Being skinny isn't so bad," William smiles proudly. "When a zombie apocalypse happens, he'll have an advantage because he can run faster-"

"Stop, with the stupid zombie apocalypse crap!" Elizabeth yells, her eyes resembling my father's when he's irritated. "Some conspiracy theorist made that stupid thing up."