Chapter Thirty Seven: Baby Steps

Wednesday seemed like it couldn't come soon enough.

Perhaps because it's because we're still on our break from engaging with the media like we were sent here to do. Either that, or I've been anxiously awaiting to go to therapy with Sebastian. What kills me is not being able to sit in the room and hear anything he does decide to disclose. Of course, I'm not going to become intrusive and ask him questions about his childhood or anything pertaining to that, as it's obviously a sensitive subject—the "bathroom incident" adds truth to that. But knowing that this is our third week here and we've already come to know each other at this level, from becoming lost in the forest together to handing a group of bikers inside a bar in the middle of nowhere, and finally to Sebastian being so vulnerable in my hold at 1 in the morning when no one else, not even his family, knew the extent of his pain. Maybe this is just coincidence, or maybe this is just fate. Whatever it is, it's the reason that Sebastian and I are now in the waiting room of Dr. Bakura's practice on this Wednesday morning, waiting for his appointment.

I watch him next to me, noticing how his jaw flexes impatiently and his fingers tap on the arm rest. The waiting room is quaint, spacious and empty—perhaps Mrs. Bakura made sure that no appointments were set for today.

"Don't be nervous," I encourage, regretting said encouragement when he looks at me. "I think this will really help."

He shrugs, "I guess."

I can tell he's too reluctant to open up to me. But I make sure not to let it get to me, because this is the reason we're here. And plus, he's been a little uncomfortable around me since I lied and told him I was on my period. At least the awkwardness from that situation has stopped, but sometimes I still get flashbacks at the worst. moments.

And I mean the worst moments.

"Sebastian Harrison?"

Both of us turn besides the fact of only one of us claiming the name. A woman, with a black business suit and plum-colored blouse peaks through the open door. Her hair is a blonde pixie cut that doesn't match her aged face, even though her aged features hold a sense of patience and understanding.

Sebastian gets up and shakes hands with Dr. Bakura as they both introduce themselves. I sit quietly and watch them until Dr. Bakura gives me a friendly wave.

"Are you ready?" she asks.

He nods, then sighs, "Yeah, I guess."

Sebastian doesn't turn back to look at me, but instead walks through the open door, with Dr. Bakura following close behind.

And then it is quiet again.

I stare at the fishes in the decorative fish tank for a while before boredom overcomes me. I contemplate leaving to go walk around town or grab something to eat, but something compels me to stay planted in my seat.

Perhaps I should call Paul, who happens to be babysitting my socially awkward Chihuahua, Pedro.

I pull out my phone and tap on his name, but the moment I do, the receptionist clears her throat loudly, catching my attention.

"There's no cell phones in here, ma'am," she announces, while she holds her office phone on her shoulder.

"Oh, I'm just checking up on my dog."

"I'm sorry," she says, with no sympathy in her voice. "You can take the call outside."

Do I really want to stand in the heat?

We stare at each other intensely before I put my phone back in my purse.

"So...this visit is all 100% confidential, right?" I ask after I set my phone down.