Chapter Fifteen: Lunch is Served

I walk into the main house feeling like a hollow shell.

An image of Garrett burning paintings, Sebastian's paintings, with a maniacal smile on his face plays over and over again like a broken CD, but I can't bring myself to believe it. Garrett, the man I have worked personally with for years would never do something like that. But if that's the case, there isn't a logical reason why Loretta would lie to me. Especially since her reaction to the memory was so organic I felt it like I lived the experience with her.

Maybe the reason I can't believe it is because Sebastian shows no sign of connection to such a traumatic event. And that, is the reason none of this makes sense. There are a billion pieces that I have yet to uncover, but Loretta was kind enough to give me a hint, a head-start, on figuring out the entire story and why it's a secretive topic amongst the Harrison's.

As I near the library, I can hear Sarah's voice loudly from the other side.

"Yes, yes! I feel you, man I feel you!" she is saying in a happy tone.

Something's wrong.

I open the door to find her on the phone expressively, walking back and forth and laughing at everything the speaker is saying. Lucas is looking at something on the desktop, squinting and rolling his eyes at the screen.

"Sarah," I whisper, "who is that?"

She glances at me once then looks the other direction, "Hold on, Mike," she says, before holding her phone to her chest.

"What, Leslie!?"

I flinch, "Sorry, I just wanted to know who you were on the phone with."

She glares at me, "Mike Johnson, friends with Oliver Eppson, the music producer! I'm this close," she pinches her thumb and index finger together, "to getting Sebastian into one of Oliver's party's this week in North Carolina."

I'm a bit overwhelmed.

"But wait, what about the lunch today?"

Sarah looks like she doesn't know what I'm talking about until it hits her.

"Oh, that. Look, I can't risk missing a call from Mike or even Oliver so you're going to have to go in my place."

It feels like Sarah's words deceive me, but when she returns to her call as if no words were exchanged between us, I fight off the urge to groan. It's like everything has been aligned by some Deity to make sure Sebastian and I spend every moment we can together. And after hearing Loretta's testament, I'm almost dreading it. How can I pretend she didn't tell me something so absurd while being around him?  I hate to admit it, but I...can't seem to believe her. Garrett would never do something like that. Ever. I've known him, know him, on a personal level to never even believe the notion. But somehow the imagery creates itself in my mind and makes my skin cold.

"Hello? Earth to Leslie?"

My mind registers back into reality at Sarah's voice, "I'm sorry I-I was...it's nothing. Anyway, you really want me to go?"

"Well, yeah, I'm not going to risk this opportunity," she says. "Most likely it's going to be an innocent lunch, so no negotiation or business talk will be involved. I know that kills you inside."

I roll my eyes.

"Yes, yes, yes, YES!" Lucas suddenly screams from the back of the room.

Sarah, who seems to be used to his behavior, continues talking on the phone and pacing the room. I walk over to Lucas, whose smile almost takes up the entirety of his face.

"What are you happy about?" I ask.

"The assistant of the assistant of Robert Hill answered my email," he beams.