Chapter 2

Chapter 2
Gu Xiuyi has always been busy, often residing in the apartment closest to his company. If it weren't for Ji Ruan, he wouldn't step into this villa for weeks on end.
The sole purpose of his visit today was to see this future partner in person and take him to get their marriage certificate.
Even though he knew Ji Ruan well, he still uttered his name with a tone of inquiry, a gesture that, more than a greeting, seemed to be seeking confirmation of a fact:
"Are you sure you're willing to marry me?"
Yet the young man in front of him appeared dazed, looking at him with wide eyes and keeping his hands on the bed's edge without moving.
Gu Xiuyi waited for a moment, but without hearing even a simple acknowledgment, he frowned, reaching out to tap the youth on the shoulder. "Ji Ruan?"
Beneath his touch, the shoulder trembled slightly. It seemed Ji Ruan had just snapped back to reality. He picked up a small black device from the table, put it on, and after a moment of feeling it, finally looked up, his eyes notably clearer.
Gu Xiuyi paused, taken aback. He hadn't had direct interactions with the hearing-impaired, and Ji Ruan looked so outwardly normal that he momentarily forgot Ji Ruan might not have heard him.
Softening his expression slightly, he leaned down to bridge the distance between them, gently brushing aside the stray hair by Ji Ruan's ear. But before he could get a clear look, the strands slipped through his fingers.
The youth tilted his head back slightly, meeting his gaze directly. "I can hear now."
His voice was slightly hoarse, akin to sand being mixed into soft warm water, much more grounded than his delicate appearance suggested.
A hint of surprise crossed Gu Xiuyi's features, though he didn't let it show too clearly. Standing straight, he inquired, "Did you bring all the necessary documents?"
"...I brought my ID and household registration."
Gu Xiuyi nodded, looking directly at Ji Ruan, "Let me confirm once more: you are willingly marrying me, correct?"
Due to his upbringing, there was an innate aura of authority around Gu Xiuyi. Even when he spoke politely, it was challenging to find him approachable.
Ji Ruan locked eyes with him, palms sweating involuntarily. "As long as Mr. Gu fully honors the agreement, there won't be any issues."
Although it was difficult to gauge Gu Xiuyi's emotions through his expressions, Ji Ruan keenly sensed that he was quite pleased with the response.
The man in front of him glanced at his wristwatch, his tone lightening slightly. "It's getting late. Let's have dinner, and we'll get the certificate tomorrow morning."
He spoke as casually as if delegating a task to a secretary. Perhaps in his view, obtaining a marriage certificate was no different from any routine chore.
"...Alright. But," Ji Ruan hesitated, tugging at his collar, "may I change my clothes first?"
He was wearing an oversized, pure cotton pajama set in ivory. Due to his preference for comfort, the set was chosen in a larger size, leaving the neckline broad and exposing a significant portion of his collarbone.
Gu Xiuyi's gaze momentarily lingered on the pale skin of the youth's chest before moving on. With a slight nod, he turned and left, thoughtfully closing the door behind him.
As the evening light filtered through the floor-to-ceiling windows, the room fell silent after Gu Xiuyi's departure. Ji Ruan relaxed his grip on the bed's edge, his back arching slightly, beads of sweat forming on his temples.
From the moment he saw Gu Xiuyi, memories that didn't belong to him flooded his mind, as though filling in the world of this book for him.
He had met Gu Xiuyi before!
For magnates like Gu Xiuyi, besides work, philanthropy was their passion. Ji Ruan was one of those sponsored by him. It was thanks to Gu Xiuyi that he survived, completed high school, and even got into the best university.
A year ago, when Gu Xiuyi gave a lecture at their high school, Ji Ruan watched him from a distance in the audience. From that moment, he was smitten.
The frightening part was that Ji Ruan never existed in Gu Xiuyi's memories.
This attraction, mixed with gratitude, sent shivers down Ji Ruan's spine.
He finally understood why the protagonist, a determined individual despite his humble beginnings, would agree to a contractual marriage with Gu Xiuyi.
Because he had fallen for him first!
An age-old rule in melodramatic tales: whoever falls in love first gets hurt.
According to his cousin, the book only had a sweet start. Gu Xiuyi's courteous demeanor would make it increasingly hard to resist him. Starting from the return of the first love, the protagonist would suffer inside and out, physically and emotionally.
Hoping for a hint of sincerity from Gu Xiuyi while being plagued by insecurities, the protagonist would face the classic tropes of kidnapping, car accidents, and amnesia before finally getting a happy ending.
Ji Ruan might not remember the specific details, but he always remembered his cousin's final review: the reason the story had a happy ending was that if it didn't, not even a medical miracle could save the protagonist.
At the time, Ji Ruan had scoffed, questioning why characters went through so much torment. Why exchange health for
A torturous
Passion play?
Now, being in the shoes of the protagonist, Ji Ruan's heart raced. After taking several deep breaths, he managed to calm himself.