51

Chapter 51
The day after Ji Ruan woke up, Gu Xiuyi took him back to City A.
Song Ling had sent word a couple of days prior, mentioning that the special ward Gu Xiuyi had requested was perfectly arranged.
He emphatically stated several times that the room was cozy, refined, understated, and elegant. He was confident that Gu Xiuyi would be pleased and Ji Ruan would adore it so much he wouldn't even want to leave after seeing it.
Such assurances greatly boosted Gu Xiuyi's confidence. Suddenly, the current hospital room felt utterly inadequate - the mattress wasn't soft enough, the pillows were flat, and especially the bathroom corner near the washbasin was dangerously sharp. He absolutely wouldn't allow Ji Ruan to use such a hazardous restroom alone.
So that afternoon, after a refreshing nap, Ji Ruan, in a somewhat dazed state on the bed, was coaxed and cajoled by Gu Xiuyi to sit up and get dressed, staring at the suitcase on the floor.
Aunt Zhao was meticulously packing his clothes, towels, and candy jar into it. The bed linens were neatly folded into a compact square.
Gu Xiuyi returned with a stack of payment receipts. The first thing he did upon approaching Ji Ruan was to pinch his cheek.
Since falling ill, Ji Ruan had become notably more docile. Previously, Gu Xiuyi could only cheekily pinch his face when Ji Ruan was tired, hungry, or drowsy. Now, Ji Ruan always seemed content to let him do it.
Even in front of others.
In just a few days, Gu Xiuyi's vanity had been immensely gratified. Outwardly he remained silent, but inwardly he swelled with pride, feeling a peculiar compulsion to touch Ji Ruan's face.
He sat next to Ji Ruan, his arm wrapping around Ji Ruan's shoulders, and the young man naturally leaned into him.
Ji Ruan glanced around and, with wide eyes, asked him, "Am I really being discharged?"
Gu Xiuyi adjusted his coat and said, "Of course. What's so surprising about that?"
Ji Ruan couldn't believe it. He'd never been hospitalized for such a short period. It hadn't even been two days since he regained consciousness!
Ji Ruan's heart fluttered. Could it be that he had grown stronger? To be injured so severely and still be discharged the next day - had his health improved with age?
In a couple of years, would he be able to take on Gu Xiuyi and Li Sui'an in a fight? Or at least match Song Ling in strength?
The pleasant thought brought a dimpled smile to Ji Ruan's face. His pale cheeks flushed as he said, "Did I recover this quickly? Sometimes, I still feel a bit dizzy."
Gu Xiuyi, unaware of Ji Ruan's daydreams, found his blushing face charming, reminiscent of a juicy peach.
He chuckled and gently poked the rosy cheek, "No, we're going back to our private hospital. As for the dizziness, you're severely anemic. That's why."
"...What?"
Ji Ruan's face fell instantly.
His dream of becoming a martial arts master shattered abruptly.
Seeing Ji Ruan's dimple disappear, Gu Xiuyi thought Ji Ruan was upset about his health condition.
"It's alright," he pulled Ji Ruan into an embrace, "We'll take care of it. Plus, I specially arranged the room for you. You'll love it."
"Really?" After all, a specially arranged hospital room was still a hospital room. Ji Ruan didn't care much about it.
But being held felt rather nice. And looking at Gu Xiuyi's muscular arms, Ji Ruan reconsidered the need to compete in physical strength.
With Gu Xiuyi's prowess, unless Ji Ruan was reborn, he probably couldn't win against him in his lifetime.
Well, not entirely true... If they met again when they were older, who knows?
Gu Xiuyi was twelve years older. If they met again forty years later, Gu Xiuyi would be a shaky 71-year-old, while Ji Ruan would be a fit 59-year-old. Maybe by then, he could win!
Ji Ruan sighed contentedly, grateful to be alive and free from terminal illnesses.
In his past life, he couldn't even imagine the future. Now, he could picture reuniting with Gu Xiuyi as old friends and genuinely believed they'd both live to that age.
Gu Xiuyi saw Ji Ruan's beautiful eyes twinkle and wander, as if he were enveloped in a bubble of rosy imaginations, looking both innocent and whimsical.
Gu Xiuyi felt a strong tug at his heart, as if it too were filled with these rosy bubbles.
He sensed that Ji Ruan must be eagerly anticipating the specially decorated room, wishing he could rush over to see it immediately.
"Rest assured," Gu Xiuyi gently pinched Ji Ruan's face, "The room is cozy, tasteful, understated, and elegant. You'd not want to leave even after a day."
Ji Ruan was lost in his own daydreams, not really processing the details of Gu Xiuyi's words but noting the constant praise about the uniqueness of the hospital room.
He nodded in agreement, "Mm-hmm!"
Their slightly mismatched conversation was interrupted by the arrival of the nurses who came to see him off.
The nurse who had been attending to Ji Ruan and changing his dressings stood at the forefront, holding flowers. Upon entering, she saw the CEO, Gu Xiuyi, helping Ji Ruan put on socks.