Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Ji Ruan couldn't fall asleep that night.
He had always believed that he had come to terms with his hearing impairment, often voluntarily removing his cochlear implant to enjoy the quiet.
But when silence became involuntary, it sent him into a mild panic.
His right ear, devoid of the cochlear implant, could hardly pick up any sound, while his left still could, albeit distorted and fragmented in the deep night, sounding like ghostly whispers that kept Ji Ruan awake.
He used to sleep soundly even without his cochlear implant. Ji Ruan couldn't understand why just the mere absence of the tiny black device could unsettle him so much.
Perhaps for those with hearing impairments, any hearing aid becomes as addictive as any substance.
The next morning, Ji Ruan woke up early. As he washed his face, the reflection in the mirror revealed dark circles under his eyes, resembling a frost-bitten eggplant, devoid of any vitality.
Overnight, a bruise had formed on his collarbone and ribs, likely from being playfully tackled by a cat. The aching throbbed, and he suspected his back might be bruised as well, though he couldn't see it.
Ji Ruan sighed internally. With his limited wardrobe, after rummaging, he could only find a crew-neck T-shirt to wear, which barely covered his collarbone.
Perhaps it was his constitution, but any ailment showed prominently on his face. A minor discomfort, and his complexion would look distressingly off.
For instance, now. Although Ji Ruan felt mostly fine, he looked like an employee drained from a month-long, relentless work schedule.
Ji Ruan stared at himself in the mirror for a while, finally deciding to soak a towel in hot water and vigorously scrub his face. The steam reddened his cheeks slightly, improving his appearance.
It seemed someone had entered the room. Fearful of missing any knocks due to his hearing impairment, Ji Ruan had intentionally left the door ajar. As he stepped out of the bathroom, he encountered Gu Xiuyi, closely followed by Assistant Song.
Gu Xiuyi was immaculately dressed in a white shirt and dark gray suit, radiating elegance and poise.
Ji Ruan's wet fringe clung to his forehead. He casually brushed it aside as he approached the duo, offering a polite smile, "Good morning."
Assistant Song immediately responded with a courteous grin, "Good morning, Mr. Ji."
Gu Xiuyi remained silent, his gaze lingering on Ji Ruan's face before drifting to his hair. It was wildly disheveled, with wet strands sticking to his forehead, making him appear rather unkempt.
Gu Xiuyi pressed his lips together, attempting to contain himself. Unable to resist, he stepped forward, smoothing out Ji Ruan's unruly hair.
As he did so, he said sternly, "Even if you're not feeling your best, you should always present yourself in the best light in front of others."
Standing close, his words, although not entirely clear, resonated in Ji Ruan's left ear with clarity.
The tone was akin to a supervisor addressing staff during a morning meeting.
Having never worked a corporate job, this was a novel experience for Ji Ruan, leaving him both stunned and speechless.
Surprisingly, Assistant Song behind Gu Xiuyi fervently nodded in agreement. His earnest expression made Ji Ruan wonder if, given a notebook, Song would jot down these 'Words of Wisdom from Boss Gu' and commit them to memory.
Were they all driven to the point of senselessness?
Ji Ruan refrained from commenting further. He returned to the bathroom to continue his morning routine. Once ready, he packed his identification and joined Gu Xiuyi to head downstairs.
The two walked side by side in silence. After a moment's hesitation, Ji Ruan began, "About my cochlear implant..."
Gu Xiuyi walked to Ji Ruan's right side. Hearing Ji Ruan's remark, he paused briefly, took a step back, and moved closer to Ji Ruan's left ear to respond, "We should head to the hospital now to get you a new external device."
Ji Ruan hadn't anticipated this response. His eyes widened slightly, "What about the marriage registration?"
Gu Xiuyi swiped his phone and replied, "I spoke with the doctor. Fitting the external device won't take long. We'll still have time to visit the Civil Affairs Bureau afterward."
Communicating was indeed challenging for them at the moment.
Although Ji Ruan could catch bits and pieces, texting seemed inefficient. However, for verbal communication, Gu Xiuyi had to get uncomfortably close.
Even during their brief exchange, Ji Ruan felt Gu Xiuyi's breath tickling his ear. Lifting his gaze slightly, he could discern every fine line around Gu Xiuyi's lips.
This wasn't the respectful distance expected in an arranged marriage.
Silently agreeing with Gu Xiuyi's decision, Ji Ruan let out a relieved smile, "Thank you."
Only then did Gu Xiuyi raise his eyes from his phone to glance at Ji Ruan.
Standing tall and being so close to Ji Ruan, in the dimly lit corridor, the phone's luminescence emphasized Gu Xiuyi's already sharp jawline, making him appear even more aloof and fierce.
Ji Ruan couldn't decipher his expression.
Gu Xiuyi spared Ji Ruan only a fleeting glance before looking away, stating calmly, "You don't need to be so formal. It was my cat that caused you trouble. I should apologize to you."
Caused him trouble?