40

Chapter 40
Early the next day, Ji Ruan knocked on Cheng Zizhang's hospital room door.
The door was answered by Cheng Yunxiu. Dressed in a simple pale-colored long skirt, with her hair pinned up, she emanated a distinctive aura. Upon seeing Ji Ruan, she smiled gently, "You must be Ji Ruan. I've been longing to meet you. I am Zizhang's mother. She often mentions you."
Her features were soft, conveying a very approachable demeanor. Ji Ruan greeted with a smile, "Hello, Mrs. Cheng, I've long heard of you."
"There's nothing noteworthy about me," Cheng Yunxiu replied warmly, ushering Ji Ruan into the room. "Come in. Zizhang isn't fit for discharge yet. It's kind of you to visit."
Ji Ruan handed the flowers he brought to Cheng Yunxiu, "It's no trouble. I should visit my senior after all."
The single-patient room wasn't particularly spacious, but it was well-lit. The whole space seemed to be bathed in a cozy, sun-drenched ambiance.
Cheng Zizhang was propped up, sipping some soup. She greeted Ji Ruan with a warm smile. Even in illness, she was undeniably beautiful.
"-Ji Ruan?"
Ji Ruan turned to see Lin Qing emerging from the restroom.
His eyes were slightly red, and he looked rather worn out-a stark contrast from his poised demeanor on the stage the day before. There was a palpable sense of exhaustion, as if he'd been through an ordeal.
Pausing where he stood, his gaze swept over Cheng Yunxiu and her daughter. A trace of awkwardness colored his expression, "Why did you call him here?"
A mix of indignation and confusion welled within Lin Qing. Even now, did they intend to parade him before an outsider for ridicule?
Ji Ruan raised an eyebrow. It seemed that a night had passed, and Lin Qing still hadn't come to terms with things.
Cheng Zizhang took another sip of her soup and remained nonchalant. With her mother present, there was no need for her to intervene.
Cheng Yunxiu filled a glass of water and walked past Lin Qing without hesitation. Still with her warm demeanor, she told Ji Ruan, "Sit down, Ji Ruan. Take a sip of water, and we can chat."
Ji Ruan expressed his gratitude and took a seat by the bed.
After a brief pause, as if pondering where to start, Cheng Yunxiu directed a considerably more serious gaze at Lin Qing, "Do you recognize where you went wrong?"
Lin Qing, seemingly anticipating such a question, responded calmly, "Mrs. Cheng, where do you believe I went astray?"
Cheng Yunxiu seated herself next to Ji Ruan, "Alright. Since you're reluctant to acknowledge it yourself, let me ask you: did you personally create the artwork showcased during the promotional event?"
Lin Qing tugged at the corner of his mouth, "You're well aware, teacher. You asked me and senior sister to collaborate on it. We followed your instructions to the letter."
Cheng Zizhang scoffed.
Cheng Yunxiu silently observed Lin Qing for a brief two seconds before sighing, "Bring the item from the table over here."
Although her disposition was gentle, her gaze turned incredibly sharp when she became serious.
Lin Qing felt a chill from her stare. It took him a moment to process her words and move, his movements stiff and uneasy.
It was a rectangular object wrapped in cotton cloth, about half a meter long. It felt like a wooden frame to the touch. Lin Qing had a vague hunch about what it might be.
He placed the item before Cheng Yunxiu, but she didn't take it, merely saying, "Open it and see."
Lin Qing gulped, his fingers trembled ever so slightly as he unveiled the cotton wrap.
His guess was spot on. It was indeed the artwork titled "Corner of the Courtyard" that had been displayed at yesterday's event.
Cheng Yunxiu fixed her gaze on his face, seemingly intent on capturing every nuance of his expression. "Now that you see it for yourself, point out to me clearly which parts you embroidered and which were done by Zizhang."
Lin Qing's hand trembled violently, almost dropping the item he held.
"... I embroidered the pond. The fish, water, and path were done by my senior sister..." He paused when pointing at the plum blossoms, his lips moved but no words came out.
Cheng Yunxiu's gaze pierced through him, "Who embroidered them?"
Lin Qing's lips pressed tightly, pale and silent.
Cheng Yunxiu observed him for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, with an evident tone of disappointment, she asked, "Do you recall what you said on stage yesterday? Do you need me to jog your memory?"
Lin Qing took a deep breath and suddenly looked up, "Do you trust Cheng Zizhang that much?"
Cheng Yunxiu met his eyes, "What do you mean by that?"
"When Zizhang told you she embroidered the flowers, you believed her without question and assumed I was lying, right?"
He chuckled softly, pointing at Ji Ruan, saying, "You even brought an outsider as a witness to showcase your impartiality. Was that really necessary?"
Cheng Yunxiu's eyes on Lin Qing suddenly held a foreign look, "So you still refuse to admit it?"