26

Chapter 26
Ji Ruan had always assumed someone like Gu Xiuyi, when dining out, would only frequent high-end restaurants. He was surprised when Gu chose a very down-to-earth hot pot place.
Located just two streets away from Jing University, the entrance looked ordinary. But inside, it was packed to the brim. By the time they arrived, there were no available seats.
Just as Ji Ruan was considering switching to another place, Gu Xiuyi led him straight into a private room at the back.
It appeared he knew the restaurant owner, as they chatted familiarly when the dishes were served.
Once the pot was boiling, Gu Xiuyi began cooking some vegetables. Noticing Ji Ruan's curiosity, he casually mentioned, "During our university days, our dorm mates and I often dined here. Every Winter Solstice, we'd definitely have hot pot."
"Is that so?" The warmth in the restaurant caused Ji Ruan's cheeks to flush after just a short while. As he removed his scarf, he remarked, "No wonder you seemed so familiar with the owner earlier."
Gu Xiuyi chuckled, "He was my college roommate."
"...What?"
Ji Ruan was momentarily stunned.
They often dined here with his roommate, but his roommate was the owner? He was slightly confused by this connection. The process of taking off his down jacket slowed, with one sleeve hanging askew on his shoulder:
"So, you're supporting your roommate's business?"
Gu Xiuyi, smiling, shook his head and helped Ji Ruan with his jacket, setting it aside, "No, he took over the restaurant after we graduated."
Ji Ruan poured himself a cup of hot tea, "So he acquired the place?"
"There's an interesting story behind that," as the mutton in the pot was ready, Gu Xiuyi placed a few slices onto Ji Ruan's plate, "Careful, it's hot."
Ji Ruan gently blew on the food and took a bite, signaling Gu Xiuyi to continue.
"My roommate was particularly fond of the hot pot here. Besides dining with us, he frequently visited on his own. Over time, he became well-acquainted with the original owner."
Gu Xiuyi continued, his pace leisurely, as if engaged in a casual chat with a friend or narrating a bedtime story to a child.
"The original owner had run this place for decades but had no children. He knew that eventually, due to age, he'd have to close it down."
Gu Xiuyi chuckled, "My roommate felt he couldn't live without this hot pot in his life. So, he decided to learn the craft under the guidance of the original owner."
Ji Ruan's eyes widened, "That's possible? Such a dramatic change in one's life path..."
"Indeed," Gu Xiuyi nodded, "Sounds impulsive, doesn't it? From finance to hot pot cooking. His parents, who were preparing to send him abroad for further studies, nearly lost their minds when they found out. But he remained steadfast."
Gu Xiuyi's tone was even and his demeanor calm, devoid of any exaggerated flair, yet it piqued Ji Ruan's interest unexpectedly.
Ji Ruan was so engrossed he forgot about his food, "Then what?"
Gu Xiuyi, smiling, served him more food, "Eat up."
"-The initial years were tough. His parents believed he was being irresponsible with his life. They even cut off contact for a while. But he remained grounded and diligently honed his craft."
Gu Xiuyi, gazing into Ji Ruan's rabbit-like eyes, continued his tale:
"Later, when the old man could no longer manage, he took over the store. He adopted the elderly owner as his godfather, caring for him as if he were his biological father. Last year, he had a daughter, and his relationship with his family began to improve."
Ji Ruan sipped the soup, tasting it carefully without realizing.
"To be honest, this place's flavor is truly excellent. The soup is aromatic and rich, and the lamb is tender without any gamey taste; every bite feels incredibly delicious."
"Even someone unfamiliar with this industry, like me, can sense that the owner has put in immense effort and passion into perfecting it."
Ji Ruan bit the spoon, taking several more gulps. Somehow, knowing the story behind the soup made it taste even richer.
He licked his lips and smiled, "Your roommate seems like a person of genuine character."
Gu Xiuyi raised an eyebrow, seemingly contemplating the statement, and nodded:
"Indeed, he follows his heart. Moreover, his business has been thriving in recent years. Judging by his cheerful demeanor, he seems much happier than if he were an executive at a multinational corporation."
Gu Xiuyi reflected, "But it's also because he can stand firm and prove his choices right to his parents through his actions. The relationship with both families is now exceptional."
Ji Ruan hadn't expected to hear such a story from Gu Xiuyi.
In his perception, Gu Xiuyi had always been a cold, formidable, and astute businessman.
People like him should have lives akin to most powerful CEO literature - born and living in luxury, dazzlingly successful yet superficially admired, but intrinsically fragile.
Yet here was Gu Xiuyi, in this small private room, amidst the mist and aroma of lamb soup, sharing a somewhat ordinary yet profoundly heartwarming tale.