36

Chapter 36
Gu Xiuyi's question felt like ice plunging into deep cold water, abruptly snapping Ji Ruan back to reality as their eyes met.
Gu Xiuyi seemed deeply concerned about his state, with evident unease in his gaze.
"Ji Ruan?" He called out once more.
Ji Ruan involuntarily shuddered, then took a deep breath.
The sunlight outside was warm, and so was Gu Xiuyi's hand resting on his neck. These gentle touches gradually soothed Ji Ruan's racing heart.
Licking his lips, Ji Ruan managed a smile towards Gu Xiuyi and whispered, "I just feel that surgeries are terrifying..."
To others, such an admission might seem overly sensitive, but this was Ji Ruan's most profound fear in this world, something he'd never wish to endure again.
Gu Xiuyi paused briefly.
He wasn't entirely privy to the innermost thoughts of Ji Ruan, but he had gradually grown accustomed to thinking in the context of Ji Ruan's words.
Surgery... what if one day Ji Ruan needed one?
What if Ji Ruan was the one being wheeled into the operating room?
Though appendicitis is a minor surgery nowadays, it still requires an incision. But Ji Ruan's unique blood type and poor clotting means the risks of uncontrolled bleeding or inadequate blood reserves could be fatal...
A creeping chill enveloped Gu Xiuyi, making him shudder involuntarily.
"Don't think about it," he said, snapping back to the present. Looking at Ji Ruan with a gentle voice he added, "You'll be fine. Don't dwell on such thoughts."
Holding Ji Ruan's hand, he led the way out, letting the twilight's afterglow envelop them, "Let's go home."
·
The traditional embroidery event was on Saturday at Jingu University. Ji Ruan, however, did not join the crowd, as it was his birthday. No matter how he thought about it, his own celebration was of greater importance.
The night before, Ji Ruan went to bed early, recharging for a day of full-blown festivities.
At nineteen, in his previous life, he spent his birthday bedridden in a hospital, unable to have cake, tormented by medication side-effects, drained of all strength.
His family bought him a beautiful cherry cake, hoping he'd blow out the candles and at least experience a semblance of a birthday atmosphere. Yet, he was so weak he couldn't even extinguish the candles.
In this new world, it felt like he had been granted a second chance at life. The mere fact that he could stand healthily and celebrate his birthday at an amusement park with friends was beyond his wildest dreams.
Ji Ruan wasn't someone lost in the past, nor would he let negative emotions persistently cloud his days. For him, every day alive was a blessing. As long as he was happy, nothing else mattered.
Ji Ruan originally planned to celebrate his birthday with three other roommates. However, "Mr. Gu" had expressed, half a month in advance, his childlike wish to join them at the amusement park. Ji Ruan found no reason to decline.
And secretly, Ji Ruan felt more at ease with Gu Xiuyi around, as he inexplicably gave Ji Ruan a sense of security.
While they were still en route, Ji Ruan's roommates had already arrived, eagerly posting updates and photos in their group chat.
[Han DaXian: picture.jpg/We're here! Where are you, @JiRuan @JiRuan?]
[Ji Ruan: We've just arrived and are about to enter.]
[Future Star of Finance, Mr. Qin: We're just waiting on the two of you now!]
Rising Star of the Finance World, Mr. Qin: Wow, this super VIP wristband offers free access throughout the venue! I can even get a headband without paying!
Artistic Maestro, Old Li: @Ji Ruan, hurry over! I've picked out the cutest one for you!
Rising Star of the Finance World, Mr. Qin: What are you thinking? When it comes to Ji Ruan, it's up to Mr. Gu to choose.
Artistic Maestro, Old Li: ...Makes sense. Let's give this to Han Xiaolin then.
Qin Shan uploaded several pictures, all of them showing their shopping spree in the amusement park store.
One of the photos captured Li Yu wearing a playful axe headband, along with a close-up of the much-talked-about super VIP wristband. Because of this wristband, everything they bought was free.
Ji Ruan zoomed into the wristband photo for a closer look, then turned to Gu Xiuyi, asking, "What's this super VIP wristband? Did you get it for them?"
With the amusement park bustling outside, Gu Xiuyi wrapped an arm around Ji Ruan's shoulder to shield him from contact, casually remarking, "Well, when meeting your friends, one should always come prepared. I had Xiao Ya get them each a wristband to enhance their experience."
"Oh..." Ji Ruan touched the tip of his nose thoughtfully.
Gu Xiuyi noticed Ji Ruan looking down again, lost in thought. He reached out and playfully tapped Ji Ruan's puffed cheek, asking, "What's on your mind?"
Ji Ruan blinked his large eyes, looking up at Gu Xiuyi with an almost pleading expression: "But why didn't I get one? I'm the birthday boy after all..."