10

Chapter 10
From the main entrance to the main house, it took exactly twenty-three minutes and fifty-six seconds - a duration Ji Ruan had intentionally timed.
Along the way, the surrounding landscapes dazzled him. Despite coming for a meal, it felt as if he'd inexplicably taken a stroll in a park with Gu XiuYi, hand in hand, leaving him both tired and hungry.
Seeing Ji Ruan's state, Gu XiuYi was momentarily lost for words, then sighed, "Never mind. On our way back, let's just drive."
Ji Ruan looked up sharply, "We can drive?"
"There's an open-air garage by the side exit. From there, a road leads directly to the highway," Gu XiuYi explained calmly.
"Then why did we take the main entrance?" Ji Ruan couldn't help but exclaim, his face wrinkling in irritation, "And here I thought the Gu family built their mansion like a labyrinth to deter thieves!"
Gu XiuYi chuckled, patting Ji Ruan's back, "A little walk isn't so bad. You've been lacking exercise. Auntie Zhao mentioned you haven't even stepped out once in the past two weeks?"
"I..." Ji Ruan choked up, not expecting the focus to suddenly shift onto him.
Of course, he wouldn't admit that his reluctance to go out was due to sheer laziness.
"I... I was sick!" Ji Ruan emphasized, "Very sick! It's too hot outside; my condition would worsen if I stepped out. Besides, why would I go out? To drop by your office unexpectedly? - Ahem, ahem..."
As he spoke, he clutched his chest, coughing dramatically, resembling Lin Daiyu from classical literature, as if he'd cough up blood if anyone dared upset him further.
Gu XiuYi was at a loss. He tried patting Ji Ruan's back, the way Auntie Zhao did, but continued without missing a beat, "You can visit anytime. Xiao Ya and the others mentioned they miss you. Let us know when you're up for it."
"Huh," Ji Ruan sneered, "Which company schedules surprise visits? Wait for it; I'll drop by when you least expect it."
Holding back a smile, Gu XiuYi gently said, "Alright, take your time. Get well first. Don't want a relapse."
Gu XiuYi never realized before how amusing Ji Ruan could be.
"Gu XiuYi, you...!" Ji Ruan genuinely felt like he'd choke from exasperation.
He never noticed how sassy Gu XiuYi could be either!
"- XiuYi, you're back," a female voice interrupted their banter.
Ji Ruan looked over to see a middle-aged woman dressed in a purple qipao. Well-maintained, she exuded the grace of a gentle and wise wife, rushing towards them from the distant corridor with exaggerated affection in her eyes.
"XiuYi, I'm so glad you're back! You have no idea how much your father has missed you!"
The warmth in her eyes was as if Gu XiuYi had been away at war for decades rather than just a day at work.
Behind her was a young man, around twenty, resembling her in looks and demeanor. He exclaimed excitedly upon seeing Gu XiuYi, "Big bro!"
Gu XiuYi responded coolly, "Aunt Fang, long time no see."
Turning to Ji Ruan, he introduced, "This is Fang Lan, my stepmother. Just call her Aunt Fang. And this is Gu XiuLi, my younger brother."
Ji Ruan gave a polite smile, "Nice to meet you. I'm Ji Ruan."
Neither of their restrained reactions dampened Fang Lan's enthusiasm. She beamed at Ji Ruan, cooing affectionately, "Ah, little Ruan, you're quite handsome."
"Oh! Speaking of which, XiuLi, where's your brother? Why hasn't he come out to greet us? This is XiuYi's first time bringing someone special home!"
Gu XiuLi looked a bit troubled, "Mom, you know how he is. He's with dad right now."
"This child!" Fang Lan beamed at Gu Xiuyi, "Oh, Xiuyi, I'm so sorry. I promise I'll have a talk with Qiming later."
Gu Xiuyi was nonchalant, "He's your son; naturally, it's up to you to educate him. No need to inform me."
"Ah, yes, you're right."
The smile on her face seemed everlasting, creating fine lines around her eyes, portraying the image of an ever-apologetic stepmother.
Ji Ruan felt the mother and son were somewhat over the top. Didn't they get tired of constantly smiling?
Gu Xiuyi appeared to have no intention of continuing the conversation and gave a slight nod, "I'll take Ji Ruan to see grandfather now."
"Oh, Xiuyi-!"
Fang Lan blurted out, but when Gu Xiuyi turned to face her, she clasped her hands and chuckled, "You're in such a hurry to see grandfather? Why not have some water first? You haven't had any since you entered."
"Yes, yes," Gu XiuLi chimed in, "Big brother, I'll pour water for you both!"
"No need," Gu Xiuyi responded calmly.
"But-" Fang Lan began, wanting to say more.