30

Chapter 30
Song Ling, as the most capable assistant, always remains diligent in his duties.
Mrs. Fang and her son were indeed thrown out of the house.
In front of countless workers tending the lawn in the courtyard.
Fang Lan's high heels caught on the cobblestone path, causing her to stumble. She clutched her ankle in pain.
Song Ling stood respectfully at the door, watching them. The car they called for had arrived. Fang Lan tried to say something, but Song Ling interrupted her.
"-Madam, it's best if you leave now."
Fang Lan, furious and frustrated, exclaimed: "If Gu XiuYi doesn't respect me, how dare you speak to me like that?!"
Her voice was loud enough that the workers on the lawn turned their heads, whispering amongst themselves.
Fang QiMing, embarrassed, leaned in and whispered to her, "Mom, too many gossipy folks here. Let's discuss whatever it is at home..."
Only then did Fang Lan come to her senses, realizing she was no longer inside the house.
The cold winter wind made her face stiff, and from the corner of her eye, she noticed many mocking yet restrained glances from onlookers.
After all, people have reputations to uphold just as trees have bark to protect. With everyone watching in broad daylight, Fang Lan couldn't continue her tantrum. After hesitating for a few seconds, she got up, leaning on Fang QiMing's hand.
"I will definitely bring my son back," she declared through gritted teeth, her bloodshot eyes fixed on Song Ling.
Song Ling nodded with a slight smile and gestured for her to leave, "Of course, madam, please take your leave."
The wind was particularly chilly today. As Fang Lan looked up, the wind made her squint her eyes. She gazed at the huge gray mansion with an apparent resentment.
In the end, she said nothing and, with Fang QiMing's assistance, got into the car.
·
Gu XiuYi, taking three steps as if they were two, carried Ji Ruan back to the room, shouting, "Auntie Zhao, get a doctor!" His voice was filled with unmistakable urgency.
Auntie Zhao was also petrified, she trembled as she rushed downstairs to grab her phone and make a call.
Gu XiuYi seldom lost his composure. From an early age, he had mastered the art of concealing his emotions and expressions, never allowing anyone a hint of what he felt.
Yet now, at best, he could only ensure that he did not act in panic.
Ji Ruan had fainted...
Ji Ruan fainted in his arms!
Gu XiuYi's mind went blank, then raced through various possibilities, but he couldn't figure out any clear reason.
Ji Ruan had no fever and no severe illness, so why would he suddenly faint? However, Ji Ruan's medical check-ups did suggest his health wasn't great, with numerous minor issues. Who knows which one might become severe enough to jeopardize his life?
This fear of the unknown made Gu XiuYi's scalp tingle, and while holding Ji Ruan by the bedside, he dared not let go.
"It's okay..."
A pat on his chest startled him, and Gu XiuYi looked down, meeting Ji Ruan's lucid eyes.
Those eyes were clear and bright, ever mischievous and endearing, not at all like someone who had just fainted.
"......?"
Gu XiuYi's arms had stiffened and he couldn't move them.
"I'm fine, put me down," Ji Ruan said again.
His voice was as pleasant as ever, just slightly hoarse from a recent cough.
Gu XiuYi felt a lump in his throat, he opened his mouth but no words came out, standing there struggling.
A hint of worry creased Ji Ruan's brow. He sighed, wriggled free, and tried to get down. Although Gu XiuYi's arms were stiff, he instinctively tightened his hold around Ji Ruan's waist to steady him.
Ji Ruan, leaning on Gu XiuYi's shoulder, gently pushed him away, took a device from his pocket, put it on, and slowly sat down on the bed.
He leaned against the headboard, his face pale, clearly still feeling a bit under the weather after the ordeal.
Gu XiuYi's fingers clenched slightly as he squatted in front of Ji Ruan, gently lifting his face to ask, "What happened?"
Ji Ruan touched his pale lips with a faint smile, "What else could it be? I was pretending."

"Pretending...?" A lump formed in Gu XiuYi's throat, a sense of disbelief washing over him.
Ji Ruan felt genuinely drained. As soon as the surrounding noise died down and he leaned against the soft mattress, a wave of sleepiness overcame him. He longed to drift off right away.
The hand Gu XiuYi had placed on Ji Ruan's chin trembled lightly. Yet Ji Ruan, at the brink of exhaustion and with dulled senses, could not spare more attention to his subtle reactions.
He lowered his eyelids, pulling Gu XiuYi's hand away. His voice, made low by fatigue, murmured, "Otherwise, when would they ever leave me be?"
Gu XiuYi paused, his voice rough with emotion, "I'm sorry, I won't let them come here again."
Ji Ruan's lips curved slightly, "That would be best."
Gu XiuYi studied Ji Ruan intently, his gaze profound.
Ji Ruan's complexion was noticeably off. His breathing was faint, both his cheeks and lips devoid of color, appearing eerily tranquil and silent.
Gu XiuYi, still reeling from the shock of Ji Ruan's feigned fainting, gently touched his hand, "Are you truly alright?"
Ji Ruan slightly lifted his heavy eyelids, met Gu XiuYi's eyes for a moment, and decided not to hide, "Of course not. Their noise has my ears ringing..."
He paused, his eyes misting over with a touch of grievance, his voice raspy, "It's truly unbearable, Gu XiuYi..."
Gu XiuYi knew all too well, this kind of grievance was mostly feigned, reminiscent of a child's whining.
More than blaming the actual culprits, perhaps it was more about him - why hadn't he returned sooner?
Gu XiuYi felt a painful twinge in his heart. He wrapped his arms around Ji Ruan's shoulders, "I'm sorry... Should we wait for the doctor to check on you?"
Ji Ruan closed his eyes, his voice a soft whisper, "I just want to sleep."
Seeing him like this, Gu XiuYi couldn't possibly let him sleep so easily. He gently patted Ji Ruan's back, coaxing, "Be good. Let the doctor take a quick look, okay?"
·
The Gu family's old mansion.
Fang Lan sat on the sofa, allowing the family doctor to tend to her sprained ankle. She had taken a fall when Song Ling had pushed her out, and now her ankle was alarmingly swollen.
She cried out in pain, her anger making her grit her teeth.
Yet, her good-for-nothing son was engrossed in his phone, showing zero concern for his mother.
"What the hell?"
Fang QiMing sat up abruptly, staring at his phone in disbelief.
"What now?" Fang Lan asked irritably.
"Xiao Li says he's not coming back," Fang QiMing's voice rose in disbelief, "If he's not returning, then what was the point of our trip today?!"
"What are you talking about?" Fang Lan, in disbelief, leaned back on the sofa.
She knew her son better than anyone. Xiao Li was the most sensible child, surely understanding that staying abroad long-term was detrimental. He wouldn't not want to come back.
"It's true!" Fang QiMing exclaimed, punching the sofa in frustration, "See for yourself what he's written! - He says that someone surnamed Bai has also come to M-country, and he intends to meet him. Has he lost his mind? What do we have to do with this Bai? He should be more concerned about his own shares!"
Fang QiMing's rapid-fire rant left Fang Lan momentarily stunned. Her brows furrowed as a realization dawned, "Which Bai are we talking about?"
Fang QiMing snorted, "Mom, are you losing it too? Who else could it be?"
Fang Lan's eyes widened in shock, "The young master of the Bai family? Bai Yue? The same Bai Yue who knew Gu XiuYi from childhood?!"
"Who else could it be?"
"Ah!" Fang Lan exclaimed, the anger she felt from Gu XiuYi's house quickly transforming into excitement, "That's my son, Xiao Li!"
"What... what do you mean?" Fang QiMing, still puzzled, began to inquire further, but Fang Lan was already dialing Gu XiuLi's number.
"Hello, Xiao Li? ... Yes, yes, it's Mom... You said the young master of the Bai family is in M-country too? ... Wasn't he previously in D-country? ... Oh, you're not sure..."
"... Fine, it doesn't matter. Have you gotten in touch? ... Not yet? ... No worries, having a way to contact is enough... Oh, you don't even have his contact? ... It's alright, you both knew each other from childhood; you'll find a way."
"Listen to me, you must connect with Bai Yue, get to know him slowly... You know what I mean... Hahaha, you're truly Mom's good boy..."
After listening to the entire call, Fang QiMing was still confused, "Wait, what exactly are you both talking about? What's the deal with Bai Yue?"
Hanging up, Fang Lan shot her elder son a frustrated look, "If you were half as smart as your brother, I wouldn't have been so mistreated by Gu XiuYi and that little vixen!"
"What does this have to do with me?" Fang Qiming suddenly laughed in exasperation.