22

Chapter 22
Awakening again, Ji Ruan's gaze met the familiar white ceiling. However, this wasn't the one at the school's infirmary. The lights were off, providing no discomfort to his eyes.
Ji Ruan was momentarily stunned, disregarding his dizziness, he tapped the bed frame, trying to make some noise.
It still seemed unclear.
A heavy dread welled up in Ji Ruan's heart. Struggling to sit up, he was gently but firmly pushed back down by a pair of hands.
The warmth of those hands was familiar. Even through the hospital gown, they brought Ji Ruan a sense of comfort.
Gu Xiuyi's face appeared before him-prominent nose, thin lips, his expression as serene as ever. However, his fingers tenderly massaged Ji Ruan's ears, placing an external device behind them.
As sound flooded his ears, Ji Ruan instinctively gasped, and then he heard the rain outside.
"Shh, it's okay," Gu Xiuyi's palm rested over Ji Ruan's ear, his voice clear and melodious. "Can you hear now?"
The joy of regaining his hearing felt as profound as a rebirth. Ji Ruan's nose tingled, and he tentatively hummed in acknowledgment.
He could hear his own voice again!
Ji Ruan's lips twitched, feeling overwhelmed with emotion. The urge to cry intensified.
But he didn't want to lose face in front of Gu Xiuyi.
Gu Xiuyi, noticing Ji Ruan's struggle to hold back tears, couldn't help but chuckle. He sat down by the bed and said, "Relax, no crying."
Ji Ruan rubbed his nose, took a deep breath, and managed to stabilize his emotions, yet there was a hint of grievance in his voice, "I couldn't hear before..."
Having been in this world for so long, he had become accustomed to perceiving muffled sounds even without his hearing aid, at least enough to sense his own voice.
But that day, when he opened his mouth, although his vocal cords vibrated as if he were speaking loudly, all he could hear was the deafening noise, akin to a building collapsing.
"Were you frightened then?" Gu Xiuyi softly inquired.
Ji Ruan looked at him quietly for a moment, choosing not to evade the question. "Of course."
The terror of that instant was indescribable, something one could never get used to.
"No need to be afraid now," Gu Xiuyi leaned over, gently touching a spot right behind Ji Ruan's right ear, "Did it hurt here at that time?"
His touch was precise. The warmth of his fingertip felt as though it reawakened yesterday's sharp pain. Ji Ruan shivered reflexively, eyes closing, "Yes... Why did it happen?"
"You had a cochlear implant surgery," Gu Xiuyi withdrew his hand, "The fever caused severe tinnitus and nerve pain. But you're alright now."
"Really?" Ji Ruan opened his eyes, which seemed slightly unfocused.
When he suddenly lost his hearing, he feared a serious ear issue, contemplating another surgery or potentially being deaf-mute for the rest of his life. Recollecting that sends shivers down his spine, yet Gu Xiuyi spoke of it so lightly.
"Don't overthink it." Gu Xiuyi, seeming to discern his thoughts, smirked with a hint of resignation. "The doctor said it's not severe. Still, try to avoid getting sick or feverish in the future; such nerve pain is ultimately harmful."
He added with a touch of seriousness, "Understood?"
Ji Ruan buried his chin in the blanket, remaining silent but nodding slightly with wide eyes.
He didn't want to fall ill either. The sudden thunderstorm wasn't even forecasted; he couldn't have anticipated it. After getting drenched, he took medicine at Gu Xiuyi's home and continued the next day, wearing long sleeves. Still, he couldn't fend off the fever.
Seeing Ji Ruan looking a bit disheartened, Gu Xiuyi paused for a moment before reassuring, "Stop overthinking. The doctor mentioned that as long as the fever doesn't return, you can be discharged by the afternoon. You'll be home for the Mid-Autumn Festival."
"So soon?" Ji Ruan expressed his surprise. Given his body's usual fragility, he wondered how he recovered so swiftly this time.
He pursed his lips, "To be honest, I still feel a bit weak..."
Gu Xiuyi said calmly, "When will you not be?"
Ji Ruan: "..."
Such a poignant observation.
"Alright, I'll stop teasing you," Gu Xiuyi smiled and helped Ji Ruan sit up against the headboard, "It's been a day since you've eaten, how could you not feel weak?"
He poured Ji Ruan a cup of warm water. Sipping it slowly, the initial contact with the warm water made his parched throat momentarily uncomfortable. He paused and frowned for a second before the soothing warmth fully hydrated his throat.
Both of Ji Ruan's hands had needle marks; one hand was still connected to an IV drip, while the other had bled slightly when the needle was removed yesterday. Now, it was covered with adhesive tape, and the back of the hand appeared slightly swollen.
Gu Xiuyi's gaze fell on Ji Ruan's slender fingers, and for a moment, neither of them spoke.
The door to the ward was gently pushed open, and Aunt Zhao peeked in. Seeing Ji Ruan awake and sitting up, her face broke into a joyful smile.