49

Chapter 49
Everything that followed was sheer chaos, rivalling the intensity of a hurricane rescue.
The sight of Ji Ruan, when he was rescued, was heart-wrenching. The bloody figure on the stretcher and the almost fainting Cheng Zizhang from sobbing turned the atmosphere chillingly cold.
Song Ling and Gu Xiuyi both climbed into the ambulance. Rumor had it that the driver was the best from the city's primary hospital. Sitting inside, Song Ling indeed felt the vehicle speeding, with a police car leading the way.
They were moving as quickly as possible, but compared to Ji Ruan's rate of blood loss, it felt agonizingly slow.
Ji Ruan's bleeding seemed relentless.
It wasn't like the gushing of a major artery; it was more like a steady trickle. It didn't seem to flow profusely, but it wouldn't stop, continuously seeping down his calf, slowly draining his life.
That leg was... ghastly. It was hard to imagine what kind of stone could have inflicted such a wound, with flesh turned inside out, and the calf stained in so much blood that its original color was indiscernible.
Song Ling remembered how Ji Ruan always had such fair skin.
The shirt that had been wrapped around his leg was ruined, drenched in blood. When removed, it was so soaked it was like a towel submerged in a basin for hours, dripping blood profusely as if it was free.
But could Ji Ruan's blood truly be considered worthless?
A national treasure, after all, is an irreplaceable gem, isn't it?
Song Ling, usually unfazed by blood, couldn't bear to look anymore in the ambulance, turning his head and silently chanting Buddhist scriptures.
As for Gu Xiuyi, it was hard for Song Ling to describe. He just held Ji Ruan tightly, and doctors had to forcibly separate them to apply the oxygen mask and connect the heart monitor.
Gu Xiuyi looked outwardly calm without uttering a word, but none of the medical staff perceived him as stable, opting to avoid communicating with him.
All details of Ji Ruan's medical history and allergies were provided by Song Ling, who relayed the information to the doctors.
Once they arrived at the hospital, chaos ensued. By the time Ji Ruan was taken to the emergency room, his blood loss had significantly slowed, showing a pale red hue, and his breathing was faint - all clear signs of severe blood loss.
However, the attending chief physician was a pillar of the department, always composed and swiftly performing necessary checks, coordinating with the surgery room, and arranging urgent blood transfusions. It was probably due to such a doctor being present that Gu Xiuyi could maintain his final shred of sanity.
Yet, there was always someone who didn't read the room. An inquisitive nurse, perhaps new, peeked at Ji Ruan's leg and exclaimed with a sorrowful face, "Oh, the color has faded; he's bled out so much..."
Before Song Ling could even think of silencing her, he watched in horror as her words caused Gu XiuYi to tremble, tears forming in his eyes.
Later, it was said that the young nurse was so traumatized that she avoided facing patients' families for a whole month. She was transferred to the maternity ward, drawing solace from the joy of new life, yet it took her half a year to overcome the shadow that a mere glance from Gu XiuYi cast over her.
Ji Ruan was in the emergency room for quite a while. His rare blood type meant that the hospital's reserves were insufficient, prompting an urgent request for support from the blood center.
Anticipating this, Gu XiuYi had earlier arranged for blood to be flown in from a private hospital in City A, delivered by private jet and given priority to land at the hospital's helipad.
But no matter how hard everyone tried to buy time, instant solutions weren't an option. As Song Ling accompanied Gu XiuYi outside the emergency room, he witnessed Gu XiuYi signing critical condition notices three times, each one within a shorter interval.
It wasn't until the blood finally arrived, with groups of doctors and nurses rushing into the emergency room carrying blood bags and boxes, that the situation began to stabilize.
At least Gu XiuYi wasn't called to sign a fourth critical notice.
Song Ling wasn't sure how long they'd been waiting, but the cold stainless steel bench outside felt hot from his prolonged sitting. He had to stand to stretch his legs.
Meanwhile, Gu XiuYi sat there, motionless and statue-like, with impeccable posture, his fingers intertwined resting on his lap, his face devoid of any expression.
However, his clothes were drenched in blood.
Tentatively, Song Ling offered him a pack of wet wipes. "Maybe clean up a bit..."
Gu XiuYi's gaze met his for a fleeting second, a chilling moment for Song Ling, but he soon looked away, silently accepting the wipes.
The wet wipes Song Ling offered were just the common type, ten in a pack. Gu XiuYi used them all, having been stained with so much blood from holding Ji Ruan.
He meticulously wiped the dried blood off his face, neck, and hands. Some of the stains were stubborn, but he patiently cleaned each finger with precision.
As the moisture spread, the pungent smell of blood from the ambulance filled the air again, but Gu XiuYi seemed unfazed.
The chilling white light outside the operating room matched the sterile walls, casting deep shadows under his eyes, making his expressions even more inscrutable. The elegance with which he wiped away the blood was so eerie it was unsettling.
"Return to City A early tomorrow and prepare a room in our hospital," Gu XiuYi suddenly commanded.
It was one of the few times he had spoken since they arrived. Song Ling immediately responded, "Why?"
"The facilities here are average at best. Ji Ruan can't recuperate here indefinitely. Once he's stable, I'll take him back."
Song Ling simply nodded, wordlessly.
Gu XiuYi seemed lost in deep contemplation, paying no mind to Song Ling's expression. He stated decisively, "Choose the room at the top floor with the best natural lighting. Starting the day after tomorrow, that entire floor is off-limits to outsiders."