55

Chapter 55
After dinner, Ji Ruan knocked on the study's door.
Mimicking Gu XiuYi, he entered carrying a glass of milk and was guided to a small sofa in the corner.
The lighting in the study wasn't overly bright, with just the desk lamp and computer screen illuminating the room. A humidifier emitted wisps of white vapor, creating a tranquil ambiance.
Gu XiuYi took a seat next to him, dressed in simple homewear with half-rimmed glasses perched on his nose, giving him a notably scholarly demeanor.
The last time Ji Ruan saw him wear glasses was during a video call several months back. He'd noticed then how glasses could significantly alter someone's appearance. Seeing it firsthand now only intensified that impression.
Gu XiuYi, it appeared, had moments where he looked exceptionally studious and approachable.
Intrigued, Ji Ruan took a longer look and pointed, "Do you have myopia?"
"Not really," Gu XiuYi adjusted his glasses, "It's slight, but these primarily protect against blue light."
"Oh." Ji Ruan nodded in understanding.
Perhaps it's true what they say about when one door closes, another opens. Despite having poor hearing, Ji Ruan boasted exceptional eyesight, more than adequate for a pilot.
He rarely used electronic devices and wasn't fond of playing games. He'd never felt the need to wear glasses, not even those designed to block out blue light radiation.
He'd also noticed those decorative frames, devoid of lenses, that many students favored. His roommates each had a pair. While Ji Ruan had observed this trend, he'd never considered getting a pair for himself.
Gu XiuYi didn't want him to wear any, either.
Every aspect of Ji Ruan was attractive, especially his eyes. They were particularly striking, with long, straight eyelashes and a soft hue that always appeared moist. His looks were captivating, but his round eyes made him look both beautiful and adorable.
For instance, now, as he simply gazed at Gu XiuYi's glasses, an onlooker might mistakenly think Ji Ruan was trying to seduce the glasses with a cute expression.
Gu XiuYi tapped the corner of Ji Ruan's eye, seizing the opportunity to lock gazes. "What are you thinking about?"
"Um..." Ji Ruan hesitated, pursing his lips. "There's something I'd like to discuss with you."
Ji Ruan rarely interrupted Gu XiuYi during his work hours and seldom entered his study. His unexpected visit with a glass of milk and a tense expression suggested that he wanted to broach a subject Gu XiuYi might not agree with.
Gu XiuYi pondered for a moment, "Go ahead."
He touched the outside of the glass, feeling its warmth, then lifted it to Ji Ruan's lips right before he spoke.
These days, Ji Ruan had developed a reflexive reaction to Gu XiuYi's gestures. Whatever he was doing, his first instinct when something approached was to open his mouth.
Without hesitation, Ji Ruan sipped from the glass held by Gu XiuYi, relishing the rich taste and murmuring about the delightful milky flavor.
Gu XiuYi, smiling, wiped a drop of milk from the corner of Ji Ruan's mouth.
"Wait," Ji Ruan realized after a moment, "Why did you feed me? It was meant for you!"
He quickly pushed Gu XiuYi's hand away, a hint of frustration in his expression.
"Is that so?" Gu XiuYi feigned surprise, then leisurely took a sip, deliberately drinking from the same spot Ji Ruan's lips had touched.
Ji Ruan watched and felt that something was amiss.
It was probably his own feelings playing tricks, for he could feel the heat rising to his ears again.
"Never mind, don't drink that." He hastily snatched the milk cup from Gu XiuYi's grasp, placing it on the coffee table with a hint of panic.
A faint smile played on Gu XiuYi's lips, choosing not to expose him, "What were you going to say?"
Ji Ruan took a deep breath, avoiding Gu XiuYi's gaze, "I... I still want to stay on campus."
Gu XiuYi seemed to have anticipated this, his expression unchanged, "Why?"
Of course, Ji Ruan couldn't voice the reason that sounded so much like a fabricated story about having nightmares.
He pondered for a moment, "Why? I was always supposed to stay on campus in the first place."
Gu XiuYi spoke softly, "But I planned on helping you apply for a day student status."
Ji Ruan exclaimed in surprise, "No!"
He waved his hands in haste, "Why go through all that trouble? I can just stay at school. My things are still there, I don't need to move anything. It's very convenient."
Gu XiuYi remained silent for a moment, his fingers interlaced, his gaze cast downward.
"Give me a reason?"