Koshi

Dashi's little sister accepted her fate with a nod.

"Do your worst. I've been in many questionings before."

Crash tilted his head with a little wink.

"Bet you've never quite seen one like this before Ms Detective." Then he turned to the rest of the group. Okay. Who wants the notebook?" Paani's hand immediately shot up.

"I'll take it. She did it to me, works back and forth, right?"

"Sure does," Crash shrugged, tossing the Rhesus macaque (yes that's his official species) Koshi's notebook, which he had somehow magicked into his hand from Koshi's hands.

"Hey!"

"What? Once again, he's got a notebook. You've got answers. Am I right?"

"Absolutely," Amy said with an emphatic nod.

"Of course," Princess agreed.

"He's right," grinned Paani with a spin of Koshi's rainbow Donna Doxie custom-ordered limited edition collector's pen. "Notebook. Answers. Go."

Koshi sighed dramatically. 

"Fine. Let's do this."

"Glad to hear your enthusiasm," said Amy sarcastically. "Okay. Question one. What's your favourite colour?"

"Not pink, that's for sure," Koshi scoffed. "Take that Dashi. Not blue, not red, not purple..."

"Can you get to the point?" Princess asked demandingly. "Stop listing what isn't and tell us what is."

"Okay, okay," Koshi said with an eye roll. "Green. My favourite colour is green."

"Green huh?" Amy said with a smile. "Seems like you'll fit well with your soon-to-be brother-in-law."

"Hmm," said Koshi with a knowing smile. "He also likes the colour green?"

"Yes," Amy said as she shuffled her papers. "Okay. Next question. What is your favourite Donna Doxie book?"

"Ooh, tough one. I mean... I always did like the Missing Map, where Donna Doxie protects some innocent travelers from a group of bandits because they swapped out their map. But then again, there's the Island of Intrigue, when they go in search of a missing pilot. And of course there's the Crocodilian Catastrophe, when they all end up stuck in a crocodile zoo... Oh! And how could I forget..."

"She could go on and on," laughed Dashi. "When I said Koshi's into Donna Doxie, I meant really into her. She could probably give you a synopsis of every single book."

"But..." Koshi said dramatically. "There is one selection of extra special mysteries that always stuck with me."

"What's that?" Dashi asked, genuinely confused. "I thought you'd listed all of the ones you like already... Yes I can listen and speak at the same thing."

"Well," Koshi said somewhat angrily. "As I was saying before my sister interrupted me, my favourite mystery of all time is probably going to have to be the..."

"Wait for it," whispered Kwazii. "Wait for it."

"...The Mystery Sisters. We have the best times together solving mysteries big sis." 

"Awwww, that's so sweet," Dashi smiled.

"Yeah, it is. Really is," Amy agreed. "Okay. Next question. Are you a Swiftie like your sister, or do you prefer a different kind of music?"

"Well," said Koshi, then bit her lip and remained silent for the longest time. "I'd be lying if I said my sister's musical taste hasn't rubbed off on me. I loved Anti-hero when it came out. Good music, good video."

"Very popular," nodded Crash. "But what do you prefer yourself?"

"Well, like I said, a bit of Taylor Swift, but I do also like other pop, like Harry Styles or Olivia Rodrigo. Not so obsessed as my sister (here she paused to wink at her sister, who protested) or the screaming paparazzi or anything... I prefer things a little more chill."

"Yeah," said Crash with a nod. "That actually really makes sense. Some people are just more laid back than others when it comes to music taste, and I reckon you're one of those people. For me, I prefer jazz but taste is taste."

"Why am I not surprised that you like jazz?" Amy wondered.

"I don't know," shrugged Crash. "Maybe I'm just naturally jazzy."

"Maybe it's the fact that he used it to cover up that secret recipe exchange you and Min had earlier," Princess smirked.

"Ahem," interrupted Koshi. "Weren't we questioning me, not discussing Crashy's musical taste?"

"Since when were you so interested in your own questioning?" Crash asked. "And by the way, I appreciate the way you tried to swing us on to onto your side by using the word 'we.' So why are you so enthusiastic?"

"Just want it over and done with," the little dachshund shrugged.

"Well in that case we might have been discussing Crash's musical taste to keep you in the boiling pot longer," Princess grinned. Koshi frowned.

"Awww, come on Princess, be nice," Amy said, flipping the pages on that thick, thick stack she held. "Fine. We'll move on Koshi. Last question from me, in fact. Do you know who your sister's crush is?"

"Ahem," interrupted Crash. "Save that one for later."

"Awww," whined Koshi. "Just when I was about to do something fun. Can't I just give a hint?"

"Fine," said Crash with that wave of his hand again. "One little hint."

"Okay," said Koshi. "My hint is..."

Everyone leaned in, except for Kwazii, who remarked: "You really should consider taking drama like your sister. Think you'd be good at it." Koshi rolled her eyes and continued.

"My hint is that the person is in the room."

Silence for about five seconds.

"Anyways!" Crash said. "Let's not spoil anything yet. I've got a couple questions for you Koshi. Ready?"

"As I'll ever be," she shrugged.

"Okay," said Crash. "Stage two of your questioning beginning. First question, one that I like to start with. Ever had a crush?"

"Nope-" Koshi started.

"Yup," interrupted Dashi. "Remember three years ago when you skipped home and declared to me that you were in love with Bernie?"

"Bernie?" Koshi asked, just a little nervously. "Who's that?"

"You aren't fooling anyone," grinned her sister. "Bernie was this mountain dog that Koshi had a crush on when she was in year two. She wouldn't stop about how great he was."

"Liar," frowned Koshi.

"Nope," Dashi grinned. "All true. And then she would talk about how she wanted to marry him and have five kids-"

"Shut up!" hissed Koshi.

"Truth must be told," Dashi shrugged.

"And it has," finished Crash before Koshi went feral. "Thank you Dashi. Next question. A little more on the... sensitive side. Have you ever been bullied? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm just asking."

"I..." Koshi faltered, for once lost for words. "Yes. Yes I have. It was back in year one, when this group of mean girls decided to pick on me for being a nerd. They got most of the grade into it, and they'd go through my stuff, steal my pencils, that sort of stuff."

Koshi began choking back tears, and Dashi got up, sitting next to her sister with a protective arm around her shoulder.

"Maybe we should move on," whispered Amy.

"Good idea," Crash whispered back. "Want to choose the next person?" Amy nodded wordlessly.

"Right. Um... How about we move on to... Tracker?"