XXI. The hour of the Snake

Summary: The taking of the Red Keep

Warnings: cursing, medieval and A song of ice and Fire AU customs, can you call this a cue?, hostile takeover, implied killings, death of a character, technically kidnapping. Death, rituals about death (preparing of a dead body), nothing mentioned. Blood, injury

+18, MINORS DNI

Notes: I just realized Steffon is 50 years old!! and I bet he looks more yummier than ever... A Silver Fox Charlie Hunnam? YES PLEASE

 A Silver Fox Charlie Hunnam? YES PLEASE

He knew

He was the second ever to find out, because he was on duty that very morning. Steffon watched the little blonde kid run down the corridor and he knew. He entered the chambers and saw it first hand. King Viserys was dead.

The Queen was going to be the first one to receive the dark news, so he stood outside the chambers of the King. Guarding him even in death, because he could never abandon his post. Bitter tears fell down his face, he had served the King for 32 years... He had saved his daughter, and had come into his service.

He bowed to Queen Alicent who came to the chambers with tears already streaming down her face, and was accompanied by Ser Criston.

"Thank you Ser Steffon", she said sweetly, placing her hand on his shoulder, "I need you to go guard the King one last time", she whispered, and he nodded, standing tall and still by the doors, "Don't let anyone in"

He heard the Queen cry by his majesty's side, and then she rushed down the hallways.

It was the break of dawn, birds barely begun to chirp.

As he was standing guard, the small council, the treacherous small council gathered, plus Larys Strong and the commander of the Kingsguard, and minus Lord Beesbury. In the meantime all the servants were being led to the dungeons.

"She will never bend the knee!", cried Alicent, "And her sister is with her! this is the worst possible timing!"

"Or the best", said Lyonel, "Shall we proceed as planned?", Alicent looked at her father, surprised

"Yes, indeed"

"Where is Lord Beesbury?", she asked

"He is loyal to Rhaenyra", said simply

"You were planning on placing my son on the throne without me?", she asked

"You had become friends with the princess", said Otto

"What would have happened if she was here?", she asked, "she would have killed us all!"

"We had a contingency plan, luckily, she isn't, but we have Aemma". Alicent looked at all the men gathered there

"What?"

"We are in the best position", he said, "they are not here, but Aemma is"

"You will not harm that girl!", she said