Open Windows and Love Letters

My love,
The days are longer and longer the closer I get to you. I miss your smile and your laugh. And your lips on mine..

My Darling,
I know you have much to do and to see and the sea is as wide as it is deep. But every selfish part of me needs you here. It has been far too long since I've seen your beautiful face and ran my hands through your hair..

My Love,
Nothing can keep me from you, princess, not the city nor the sea nor any other manner of man or beast. I'll sail to the ends of the earth for you time and time again..

My Darling,
The sun doesn't shine near as bright as you. You make my days warmer and happier and bring color to my world, my sunshine. My life belongs to the city but to you, my love, you get everything I am. There is nothing I wouldn't do for you..

My Love,
I get ever closer to you and more and more I miss you. I shall dock in the city a mere month from now. Leave a window open for me darling. The weeks stretch on..

My Darling,
Oh how I miss you. You know you can simply come through the front and I can inform of your visit. I shall ensure you have a hot meal upon your return and some to take back with you. Maybe a new change of clothes and a warm bath.. if again you return to me smelling of your crew mates and that infernal ale they so adore. Hurry home my love..

My Love,
Ah but if I visit you in such a way, we would have to have a chaperone and there's so much time to make up for. Things I cannot do with such an audience. A warm bath and such lovely company would be appreciated. I've grown tired of the fish and stew. Counting the minutes..

The letters, kept hidden in a small compartment in her vanity, smelled of the sea where they'd come from. Some with enclosed trinkets from various cities and islands. The city in which the princess lived was a rather secluded and picturesque cove. They specialized in luxury goods- textiles and furniture and pastries and spices. The food here was spectacular and known worldwide. The people of the city were all lovely and kind, save for the occasional sourpuss. She loved it here. But as the woman she loved didn't yet live in the city with her- she manned one of the trade ships as a reformed pirate though the princess suspected those days weren't always behind her- she longed for the open ocean. She didn't get to travel near as much as she liked so she lived vicariously through the letters in which these wonderful new places were described to her and the gifts or pressed flowers sent along.

The ship carrying her love was to arrive that night and she was beyond ready. Her room was cleaned, she was freshly bathed, had a tray prepared for tonight, and a new green nightgown for bed. Her ladies were off to their own quarters at this time, the sun had just set and she'd retired from dinner with a suspicious glance from her parents who knew what ship arrived today. She begged exhaustion and headache and readied herself for bed and unlocked her window. Just in case. It wasn't very late yet but the princess was in bed anyway. That is, until she heard rustling outside and her window snap open. She jumped up as a figure fell through the window and stood slowly, rubbing her side.

"That's a lot more difficult than I remember it being-" she stopped short as the princess's lips met hers.

"You're home," came the soft whisper in her ear as the woman was engulfed in a hug.

"I'm home," and exhausted. She'd been on duty all day since the early hours.

"And you stink!" The princess's laugh was the greatest sound the woman had ever heard. She ran her fingers through the long dark brown hair of the princess as she grinned. "I'll call a bath for you?"

"Please? Your bathroom is so much nicer than mine."

"Just keep quiet."

The woman sat on the four poster bed with its fluffy pillows and soft comforter while the princess disappeared. She returned a moment later and said they had to wait.

"In the meantime.. you could get those nasty clothes off. They smell like sweat."

The woman faked an aghast look. "Your majesty.. how forward of you.."

"Oh hush," the princess shoved her shoulder gently and kissed her cheek. Then, gently kissed down her neck. "I've missed you."

"I missed you more," the woman hummed softly then pulled her princess into another kiss. She did unbutton the shirt she wore and lost her trousers. She did have to admit, she was much more comfortable in a pair of undershorts and loose clean shirt. After a little bit when both women were tangled on the bed, catching up on days missed, a knock sounded at the door and the princess jolted back up. She straightened herself and ran her fingers through her now messy hair before making toward the door while the woman ducked somewhere more hidden. The princess let in a lady who ran the warm bathwater and the two talked before she left again with a goodnight.

"You can come out love," the princess smiled, stifling a laugh as the woman appeared again and they made toward the bath.

The two spent the night making up for lost time and sharing stories from the past few months they were apart as the letters don't do them justice. They ate the tray of various foods and planned to see each other again tomorrow for a more official meeting, maybe a day in the city, and again that night for a less proper visit.