My Lover

They pushed my hand away. I think that hurt worse than this past year. I stared from my hand to their back as they walked away. I bit back the tears that threatened to fall as I turned and walked back inside. Better get back before he gets upset. I- don't like bars. I don't really drink and it's full of loud, drunk, perverted people. But occasionally I do like to see the live music and watch drunk people sing karaoke. I like to sing karaoke.

"Heyy Princess," he smiled, grabbing me by the waist and pulling me to him. He smelled like whisky. It burned my nose.

"I-I said I don't like that," I mumbled. Princess was only for them.

He stiffened. "Who were you talking to?" He asked. This could go one of- a few ways. He always seemed to invent a new option.

"An old- an old friend of mine," my voice shook over friend.

"Friend?" He asked. I winced. "What you doing something with her?"

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Y-you know I don't do that," I whispered. "And they're not- they don't use those pronouns."

He scowled. When I had originally told him about being Pan he was confused. I tried to explain but he more dismissed it than understood. We didn't ever talk about it after. And you would not believe the face he made when I explained asexuality. He was actually offended. It made me so mad. He took me to dinner after to apologize at my favorite seafood place.

"You say you don't," he said finally. I wanted to say something back but I didn't want to start anything. Not here. Not now.

I know he's kind of an asshole.. I honestly don't know how to leave. And even if I did.. he apologizes. He makes it up to me. I just- I don't even know how I got here. He really was sweet at first..

"Come here get a drink," he grunted, pulling me even closer. I stood beside him now.

I made a face as he ordered me a shot. I didn't like them. I was always good at taking shots but I didn't like the way they feel or how they made me feel. "I really don't want to hon," I whispered.

"Don't be boring. Come on we're all taking one," the bartender put one down in front of me, my boyfriend, his two friends, and their two girlfriends who were in their laps. I was thankful I wasn't. I don't like those four. I didn't even know they'd be here.

I reached out to hold the shot. One of the girls start to count down. I made a face as they all tossed it back. I set mine down. He turned to me and frowned. "What the hell?" The other four looked at me again. I fidgeted.

"I don't like taking shots. You know that. I'll get a drink?" I didn't much want to do that either but it was something.

"I already bought it. You're gonna waste my money like that?" He asked. I looked around and shook my head. "The hell are you looking for?" He was getting louder.

I put my hands on his chest and my eyes darted to my friends. They were staring. A lot of people were.. "Please don't make a scene.." I whispered. "People are staring.."

"Fucking look at me!" He shouted, grabbing my face. It's been a long time since he's gotten this mad. My eyes widened and I couldn't breathe. The bar was silent for a moment other than murmurs and the arguing of the bartender, manager, and one of his friends. The other one was trying to get him to calm down and go outside. He shoved him back. "We are going to go home and you're going to pay attention to me. I'm sick of this shit."

"Y-you're hurting me," I got out. I couldn't breathe, my jaw ached, I didn't know what to do what was going to happen. The next thing I knew someone was shouting at the door and someone hit my boyfriend in the jaw. His grip on my face tightened before he let go and I cried out. I was pushed back and I fell to the ground. I scrambled back and looked around. My vision was going in and out and I was hyperventilating.

"Stop it!" I shouted, getting to my feet and grabbing their arm. I'm not going to lie- I was scared. Everyone was shouting. The manager was yelling on the phone. Someone hooked an arm around my waist and I whipped around wide eyed. I was met with brown eyes.

"Theyre calling the cops," I managed.

"I know. Come on. They've got it." They held me close to them as we left the bar. I looked back to see him fist fighting with two other guys. He watched me as I left the bar. He shouted.

We got out and they helped me into the passenger of their car. They crouched in the door with me until I was breathing okay again. "You alright?" They asked. Their voice was sad and almost flat. I nodded and they got in the drivers seat.

"How did you get stuck with an asshole like that?" They scowled after a while. I stared at my hands in my lap.

"He's never done that before," I whispered. "I don't- I should have known it would get there though."

They pulled into a strip mall parking lot. "I'm sorry." They said stiffly.

I looked up and stared at them. They wouldn't look at me. "Don't apologize," I said softly.

They didn't say anything. I looked through the window and let out a small laugh. From one end to the other were was a GameStop, a Five Guys, and an ice cream place I've never seen before. A small smile spread to their face. They looked at me, finally. "I've missed you.."

"I've missed you too Sunshine," I whispered. They took my hand and I rested my head on their shoulder. They kissed the top of my head, squeezing my hand twice. 'I love you'