Chapter 32- Love in Sydney

"Sweetheart, we're here," Derek's velvety voice spoke in my ear, waking me from my deep slumber.

I slowly opened my eyes to see his gorgeous face hovering just inches from mine, his lips curled into a bright smile. He planted a brief kiss on my lips, his stubble lightly tickling my cheek before standing back up to retrieve our suitcases.

"Where are Keith and Jessica?", I asked, undoing my seatbelt.

"They already got out of the plane," Derek replied, fixing his tie.

"Oh, well let's go then."

The moment we stepped into the airport, sounds of buzzing activity rang in my ears as herds of people in formal business wear rushed throughout the gate area, busy chattering away with each other or on their phones. After all, Sydney was a very popular destination for not only tourists but also conference meetings.

After completing customs, Derek and I walked outside towards the car rental building, inhaling the fresh morning air. It was a beautiful, sunny day without a single cloud in sight. Never had I ever seen a sky so blue.

While waiting for Derek to fill out the paperwork, I decided to head back inside the airport to buy two coffees and some donuts for the both of us. Nothing could beat a good ol' cup of Gloria Jean's Aussie blended cappuccino.

Since Derek had never been to Australia before, I had a feeling that I'd be the one directing us on this trip. There wasn't a single destination in Sydney my family hadn't discovered the last time we came here.

The moment I headed back to Derek, a huge gasp escaped my lips as I took in the sleek, black convertible parked next to him. I blinked my eyes twice to make sure they weren't playing tricks with me. He stood there with his hands shoved in his pockets, grinning like the Cheshire cat.

"Nice, huh?", he said, stroking the hood of the car. "It's a Mercedes Sl550- runs like a beast and looks sick as shit."

"We're driving this for the entire week?"

"Yup. Now hop in and let's take this baby for a ride."

"How much did it cost?"

"Nothing my wallet couldn't handle," he said with a wink.

After throwing our suitcases into the trunk, Derek eagerly jumped into the driver's seat then pressed the power button as the engine purred to life, barely making a sound.

"Oh, and there's one thing you should know," I remarked with a serious tone.

"What is it, babe?" Derek raised a brow, his hand on the stick shift.

"Sydney drivers are crazy. Not even kidding."

To my astonishment, Derek barked out a laugh, shaking his head as he began to drive out of the airport.

"Oh, Claire-Bear you're such a worry wart. I've driven in New York and LA, so I'm sure Sydney is a piece of cake."

Less than half an hour later, Derek was on a rant, and I'd lost track of how many times he'd flipped a driver off as we neared our hotel.

"Did you see that guy on the freeway? He nearly slammed into our car when he changed lanes! The bastard didn't even signal!"

"Like you ever signal when you change lanes," I muttered under my breath, rolling my eyes.

Derek let out a sigh of frustration then the car came to a screeching halt as he slammed on the brakes. The SUV in front of us had tried to weave into our lane at the traffic light without signaling. My heart nearly leapt out of my chest.