Chapter 20- When the Truth Hurts

I was walking around SeaWorld on a frantic search for my husband. He was supposed to meet me at the entrance of the Journey to Atlantis ride after using the bathroom, but it'd been over twenty minutes already, and he still hadn't showed up.

We were running out of time, too, because I really wanted to go on that roller coaster before the last Shamu show started, which was approximately an hour from now. It had always been my favorite ride here ever since I was little.

I easily could've called Derek by now to check up on where he was, but unfortunately, I'd forgotten my cell phone at home. At this rate, it'd probably take me hours to find him.

This place was huge, and it didn't help that there was especially a lot of people here today. After all, it was a Saturday.

With my ginormous Shamu stuffed animal tucked under my arm, I went looking for a pay phone. Derek had won it for me earlier after playing this one game where you had to shoot a series of small fish at specified targets. If it weren't for him, it would've taken me at least five tries.

Why did he have to be so good at everything?

To my relief, I spotted a pay phone across from one of the restrooms. I grabbed my drawstring bag and dug out my clutch that I'd left in there to search for some spare change.

A look of frustration crossed my face when I realized that all I had was a hundred-dollar bill. The young woman waiting behind me gently tapped my shoulder, and I turned around to face her.

"Is everything all right?", she asked.

"I need to call my husband, but I don't have any spare change," I replied.

"I might have some extra quarters. Let me check. And I don't know if it's just my imagination, but you look really familiar," she said as her green eyes scanned over my face.

"I'm Derek Weston's wife. You've probably seen me in one of the local newspapers." My cheeks began to flush slightly.

"Oh, I think I just saw him back there," she remarked, pointing to the nearest concession stand behind us.

"You did? Oh thank god, I've been looking everywhere for him." I sighed with relief.

"He's really handsome." She smiled shyly at me, blushing.

"Trust me, you're not the first person to say that."

"I bet."

"Well, see ya. And thanks for telling me where Derek is." I gave her a smile then ran towards the concession stand.

And indeed, my husband had just gotten out of the line after buying some popcorn and cotton candy. His eyes brightened when he saw me, and I stared at him in utter disbelief.

"Do you have any idea how long it took me to find you?", I demanded, placing my hands on my hips. He had an amused look on his face.

"I thought we agreed to meet at the Atlantis ride."

"I know that, but you freaking never showed up!", I said in an exasperated tone.

"I went to go buy some food we could snack on while waiting in line, but it took longer than I thought. Here, I got you more cotton candy."

Derek handed me the pink, fluffy treat and all traces of anger instantly vanished from my face as I squealed in delight. I'd had way too much already today, but I couldn't help it. Cotton candy was my life.

"You're the best, you know that?", I remarked happily.

"I aim to please, Mrs. Weston." His lips curled into a breathtaking smile, and I nearly swooned.