Chapter 10- Breaking Point

I kept waking up in the middle of the night to blow my nose, which was all of a sudden running like crazy. And when I tried to fall back asleep, I started having these massive coughing attacks. There could only be one explanation for this.

I had caught a cold from being out in the rain.

It wasn't until three in the morning when I was finally able to go to sleep. Heaps of used tissue lay on my nightstand, but I didn't have the energy to throw them away.

The alarm clock read noon as my eyes slowly fluttered open after a night of crappy sleep. I stretched my arms, immediately noticing how sore my muscles were.

I looked out my window and saw clear, blue skies, but even that didn't give me the motivation to get out of bed. I was so freaking tired, and my head was pounding. But the worst part was, my body temperature felt unusually low, and I had to wrap the blanket around myself.

Damn it, a fever was the last thing I needed right now.

I groaned and just lay there, sneezing and coughing. When I was about to blow my nose for the hundredth time since yesterday night, I realized that the tissue box was completely empty.

Great.

My body felt extremely off- balanced as I got out of bed. And damn, this headache was killing me. I grabbed a sweatshirt from my closet and put it on over my tank top since I was having chills, then headed to the bathroom.

Once I threw away my used tissues, I opened up the sink cabinet to grab a new box, but to my utter disappointment, there were none left.

Could this day possibly get any worse?

I decided to go find some in the kitchen because that was where I always left extras. On my way downstairs, I nearly slid and immediately, I grabbed onto the handrail.

Whoa, why were the stairs so slippery?!

I looked down at my feet and saw that there were small puddles of water everywhere, leading all the way to the front door.

For a moment, I wondered where they'd come from, but then I remembered that it was me that had been dripping water all over the place last night.

What I didn't understand was why Derek hadn't even bothered to clean it up yet. He'd probably been awake for hours already.

God, was it even possible for him to be this lazy?

I went to the kitchen and of course, he was there too, sitting at the table watching something on his laptop. As I grabbed some tissues from the cabinet, I began to have another cough attack. Right away, I went to pour a glass of water, downing it all in a matter of seconds.

"Why are you up so late?", I heard Derek ask me.

"I couldn't sleep last night," I replied with a hoarse voice.

"Why not?"

"I have a fever."

"Your fault for not getting in the car yesterday."

"Well, I didn't want you to have to sit next to a money-loving bitch," I spat. Derek hadn't actually said 'bitch', but I was just so pissed off right now.

"What on earth is that supposed to mean?"

"You obviously don't have a clue, do you?"

"Look, if it was something I said in the car last night, then I'm sorry. And by the way, you might want to clean up that water mess you made," he said, gesturing towards the hall.