Chapter 43- Blessing

I woke up one October morning to the bright sunlight peeking through the curtains, and I stretched out my arms as I inhaled the cool dawn air. Next to me, Derek lay fast asleep, the blanket falling just above his waist.

Even though we'd been married for nearly two years already, the sight of his bare torso never ceased to make my stomach flutter. Recently, he'd gone on a business trip in Miami, which left his skin the perfect shade of tan.

His abs were more sculpted than ever- if that was even possible- and I suddenly had a dying urge to run my tongue over them.

Ok, Claire, now you're just being creepy.

In the end, I just settled for watching him sleep, snuggling closer to his side as I lay my head on his chest. Tilting my neck upwards, I peered at the face I loved most. He was beautiful beyond words, but it was the gradual revelation of his true character that captivated my heart as time went by.

Derek was a man of many parts- dominating businessman, devoted husband, and soon, loving father. Yes, there was no doubt he'd love our son. That's just who he was. When Derek loved someone, it was for life and with his entire being.

The truth was, I wished there could be a more distinct line between his roles as husband and CEO. His job was extremely demanding- I understood that- but whenever we were both home, I wanted nothing more than to just spend time with him.

Unfortunately, he'd often have work to do. So on weekends, I mostly hung out with Charlotte while he worked in his home office.

Maybe one day, he'd realize that life wasn't all about making big bucks. But he was passionate about what he did, too, so there was no stopping him. I myself loved my job at Wells Fargo, and the thought of getting promoted in the future didn't hurt either.

As soon as Derek Jr. was born, though, my time would be fully dedicated to him. Besides, my boss had already secured my position for when I would return from maternity leave. He'd said that I was a valuable asset to the company he couldn't bear to let go.

I felt Derek shift slightly beneath me, and his strong arm wrapped around my waist as his eyes slowly opened, gazing down boldly into mine.

"Morning, beautiful," he said with a wide grin. 

"Morning, sexy." He chuckled, and I sighed as his smooth hand ran up and down my bare back.

"Our poor son is probably cringing right now," he remarked. I laughed.

"Don't worry, we'll have a special morning nickname for him, too."

If all went well, I'd be giving birth to Derek Jr. within the next two weeks. Words couldn't describe how elated I was. Derek and I had finished the last of our shopping for baby clothes, and the nursery was completely furnished. It looked like something straight out of a magazine.

"I should probably go make breakfast now. We have to be at your parents' at eleven," I spoke, about to get up when Derek pulled me back into his body.

"Relax, babe. It's only eight. I wanna lie with you longer."

"No sex though. God knows we won't get out of bed for hours."

"So what? My parents can wait," he rasped, brushing his fingers across my collarbone.

"But it's your dad's 60th birthday," I protested.

"I know, and a year from now, he'll turn 61."

Next thing I knew, his mouth was on my neck, and any attempt I had to make a smart comment was lost as I submitted to the pleasure that only he could give me.