Chapter 25- Alone

Claire's POV

Friday came right around the corner and with it brought a cloud of sorrow and grief that hung over my head. It wasn't just any ordinary Friday. It was September 28th- Nick's birthday.

He would've turned twenty-three, and if it weren't for that drunk driver, I could only imagine the success that would continue on to the next chapter of his life.

It killed me to just think of him buried in a grave when he should be spending today with all his loved ones. There was no feeling worse than the hurt and pain that engulfed me at that moment.

More than once, I would have the sudden desire to avenge Nick's death by hunting down the man that'd taken his life and killing him myself. I was aware of the consequences, but I just couldn't stand the fact that he got to survive while Nick's corpse was rotting away.

Once I was able to hold myself together, I took out my phone and dialed Mrs. Schneider's number. After a couple rings, she picked up.

"Claire? Is that you?"

"Yes, it's me, Mrs. Schneider. How are you?"

"Oh sweetie, I thought I'd never hear from you again. I'm doing fine. How about you?", she asked warmly.

"I'm doing good, too."

"That's nice to hear. Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since we've last spoken."

"I know. I miss you and your husband so much," I said with remorse.

"We miss you too, darling. You stopped visiting us ever since your father passed away and never called. Why?" She sounded hurt and my heart ached for her.

The truth was, I didn't want a single person to know about my arranged marriage to Derek, especially Nick's parents. They were aware of how much I loved their son and getting married to another man after his death just seemed so awful.

"Mrs. Schneider, there's something I have to tell you," I spoke, letting out a long sigh.

"What is it, dear?"

And so, I told her everything. From the day my father had passed away to my current life in California as Derek's wife.

"Mrs. Schneider, if your son were still alive, I would've married him in a heartbeat," I said with a soft laugh to lighten up the conversation.

"Claire, Andrew and I had always wanted you as our daughter-in-law. And as for Nick, I couldn't imagine him marrying any other girl but you. He loved you a lot, you know. He might not have told you, but there was no denying it."

"He did tell me...t-the day he passed away."

My bottom lip began to tremble, and I bit it to stop myself from crying, but it was too late. As the tears came, so did my emotions that I'd been trying to contain while talking to Mrs. Schneider.

"E-excuse me," I apologized, my voice shaking.

"Oh, sweetheart." By the sound of it, she was crying as well.

"I-I just wanted to wish your son a happy birthday. I promise I'll come visit soon."

"You have no idea how much your call means to me. We thought you'd forgotten us."

"I could never forget you. You guys were like family to me."

"We love you, dear. Well, I'll let you go now. Good bye, Claire."

"Take care, Mrs. Schneider."

As soon as she disconnected the call, I threw my phone onto the ground and completely broke down.