Chapter 39- Fling Before the Ring

For the remainder of our visit, I spent as much time with my mom as I could. Yesterday, we'd gone shopping and ate lunch at Benihana's. Later, both Ellie and Becca joined us for a spa retreat, and we wrapped up the night at a concert downtown.

Coincidentally, a new project had also launched yesterday for Derek's company, so he spent the entire day at home busy with work and teleconferences.

Tonight was our final night in Minnesota, and the thought of having to leave my mom devastated me. I'd constantly talked her into moving back to California, but she always refused, saying that her true home was here. Abandoning it would feel like she'd abandoned my father.

For a long tine, I knew that my mom would never get remarried. Sure, she'd been on a few dates, but none of them were serious. Mark Delaney was the first and last man to have ever claimed her heart, and she'd love him always.

On a different note, my brother finally proposed to his girlfriend, Lauren, two days ago, and we'd all gone out to celebrate. I was incredibly happy for them.

It was sad, though, knowing our dad wouldn't be there to see him get married. When I was little, I used to always dream about my wedding day. I'd seen tons of movies where the bride's father walked her down the aisle as they both beamed with joy.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to experience any of that.

Instead, my wedding day had been filled with resentment and grief, but it didn't matter. As long as Derek and I loved each other and were happy, then our not-so-happy wedding could just be locked up along with the rest of our bad memories.

Justin and Lauren came over for dinner, and my mom made her famous spaghetti and meatballs. Afterwards, we headed to the living room to watch the Wild game while Justin brainstormed baby names for his future nephew.

Yes, he also believed Derek and I were going to have a boy.

When it was becoming late, my brother and his fiancé went home, and my mom headed upstairs to bed, leaving me alone with Derek.

"Are you sleepy yet?", I asked him.

"No. Why?"

"Umm...well, you see, there's something I've always wanted to do but haven't gotten the chance to."

His mouth curved into a lazy smile.

"I'm listening."

"I want to go jump in that lake down the street. With you."

His eyes widened in horror, and immediately, he shook his head, protesting.

"Are you out of your mind?"

"Please. It'll be fun. Trust me."

I didn't mention that this was on my bucket list of things to do with Nick, but Nick or no Nick, I still really wanted to do it. My other friends had participated in the Polar Plunge previous years- an annual event to raise money for the Special Olympics that involved jumping into a tub of ice cold water- and they said it'd been loads of fun.

"Explain to me how getting hypothermia is supposed to be fun." Derek crossed his arms, staring pointedly at me.

"We won't get hypothermia. Besides, it's not that cold outside right now. Forty-two degrees is above freezing."

"Jesus, Claire."

"So, is that a yes or a no?"

"Yes. But if I don't find it fun, then you're in big trouble."

I watched his retreating back as he went downstairs to grab towels and then I did a victory dance.

Ten minutes later, we were approaching the edge of the lake. Most of the ice had melted off, and next to me, Derek stood in his tshirt and jeans, eyeing the deep, dark water with an apprehensive look.