Chapter 34- One Year

Derek's POV

I lost track of how many times I'd awaken during the early dawn, simply because I was too overwhelmed with joy to sleep. Each time I opened my eyes, my heart would warm at the sight of the woman I loved dearly lying by my side. The one whom had confessed her love for me just hours ago.

Until last night, I had thought that she'd never be capable of loving anyone else after Nick passed away. But she managed to surprise me.

The truth was, I knew that Claire always felt something for me. I could see it in her eyes. They were always filled with affection when she smiled, and the way she cared for me was beyond anything my mother had ever done.

God, how'd I get so lucky?

A huge grin formed on my lips as I gazed down at my beautiful, sleeping Claire Bear. With her dark hair fanned across my chest and smooth glowing skin, she looked like an absolute goddess. I traced small circles on her back, and slowly, she began to stir awake.

"Good morning, sweetheart," I greeted, placing a tender kiss on her lips.

She smiled, pulling me down as our lips moved in unison, and I slipped my tongue inside of her mouth, savoring her sweet taste. When we broke apart for air, she nestled against my chest, and I slipped an arm around her.

"Last night was amazing," she said blissfully.

"I know. I'll never forget it as long as I live."

"Me neither."

I was quiet, simply enjoying the feel of holding her in my arms. She directed her warm gaze at me and suddenly began to blush.

"What?", I asked her with a chuckle.

"I love you, Derek."

It amazed me how easily the words rolled off her tongue , as if she'd been saying them for years.

"I love you more," I murmured, kissing her neck, and she laughed.

God, I loved that sound more than anything. Just knowing that she was no longer hurting or crying meant the world to me, and as her husband, I would always strive to make her happy. After all she'd been through, it was the least I could do.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Have you seen my pills?", she asked.

"What pills?" I raised a brow.

"The birth control ones. I swear I packed them with me, but they're not here."

My face instantly grew pale.

"Hold on, you're saying that you haven't been taking them ever since we got to Sydney?"

She nodded her head.

Shit.

In my head, I quickly counted off the times we'd had sex the past couple of days, and then I began to feel sick to my stomach.

"Derek, what's wrong?" Her face was filled with concern, and she gently touched my cheek.

I exhaled sharply then began shaking my head in disbelief.

"This can't be happening," I muttered.

"What? Please tell me," she pleaded.

"We haven't been using protection. You stopped taking the pills ever since we got here, but I had no idea." I let out an agitated sigh.

She looked utterly confused.

"So? Who cares?"

My eyes widened at her casual behavior, and immediately, I grabbed her shoulders.