Chapter 21- Setting Things Straight

It was almost seven by the time I got home. I carried the groceries from my car into the kitchen, placing them on the counter. Before I began to prepare the chicken parmesan, I went to go use the bathroom, bumping into Derek on the way.

"Oh, you're finally back," he said happily.

I gave him a brief smile then locked myself in the bathroom. Seeing his face hurt now after everything Ashley had said.

I glanced into the mirror and saw a sad, sullen girl staring back at me- not cheerful and bright like she normally was. It's crazy how my day could go spiraling downwards like this. All because reality had finally dawned on me.

Derek was watching Sunday Night Football in the living room as I prepared dinner. When everything was finished, he went to pour us some wine and then we sat down at the table to eat.

He heartily dug into the pasta while I just stared blankly at my plate. I'd suddenly lost my appetite, which was usually never the case for me. Food was my life, but right now, I just didn't feel like eating.

"Are you not hungry or something?", Derek asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No. You can have my plate if you want," I replied, sliding it towards him. He set his fork down and gazed at me intently with brooding eyes.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

I remained silent.

"You're not talking or eating. I know there's something you're not telling me," he said.

"You don't have to act like you care," I muttered under my breath.

"What are you talking about?" He had a confused expression on his face.

"I spoke with Ashley today over some coffee."

"Wait, how did you contact her?", Derek inquired, completely appalled.

"We ran into each other at the grocery store."

"What did she say to you?" His lips were pressed together in a thin line, and there was a slight edge to his tone.

"It doesn't matter," I said quietly.

Derek abruptly got up and went to stand right next to my chair. He sighed in frustration, running a hand through his hair.

"Claire, is Ashley the reason you're acting like this?"

"It's not Ashley. It's the things she told me. We talked about how I ran away that one time last month, and then she brought up the business deal between you and Justin."

"Yeah? What about the deal?"

"Derek, the only reason we're even together like this is because of it. You just wanted me to come home so that your partnership with Justin wouldn't be ruined."

"Did Ashley tell you all this?"

I slowly nodded my head as I felt the tears begin to stream down my face. Immediately, Derek got on his knees so that he was eye-level with me.

"Claire, listen to me. I don't give a shit about that deal anymore. I truly want to be with you. Can't you see that?" His tone was desperate and urgent.

"B-but Ashley-," I stuttered.

"Forget Ashley!", he snapped in annoyance. I winced slightly at his outburst.

"Doesn't she mean anything to you?"

"How many times do I have to tell you? She's just my friend. Don't let her get to your head. Quite frankly, she had no right to even bring up the whole business deal."