Chapter 40- How it Used to Be

Summer came right around the corner and with it brought plenty of warmth and sunshine. I spent most of the day in the office, but during my lunch breaks, I'd try to eat outdoors as much as possible.

And of course, evening runs were still an essential part of my daily routine to stay in shape. Back then, Derek and I would run together or hit the gym after work. Lately though, his job had consumed him to the point where he couldn't even get home until at least eight every night.

Since we came back from Minnesota, he'd gone on three out-of-state business trips, each one lasting almost a week. Our regular visits to the doctor together were long gone, and I'd simply been going by myself after work.

Derek's job as a CEO was demanding- I completely understood that- but I hated feeling like I'd been thrown to the side. I couldn't even remember the last time we went out to dinner together.

Honestly, I didn't need him to take me anywhere. I just missed being with him. We rarely had sex anymore because he always came home tired after work. Sometimes, he'd end up falling asleep in his suit, and on those nights, I absolutely pitied him.

The fact that I was pregnant definitely made it harder. My hormones were constantly raging, and every time I laid eyes on Derek, I desperately wanted him. Tired or not, he always managed to look so goddamned sexy.

I didn't want my sexual drive to keep him from getting the rest he deserved, though, so I tried my best to control it, which turned out to be a lot harder than I'd hoped. On nights he did make love to me, I was the happiest girl alive.

But in the morning, I'd wake up alone in our bed, feeling utterly alone.

Luckily, I still had Buster and Buttercup to keep me company. They'd both grown a lot over the past couple of months. Often, I'd take them on my daily runs to ensure they got the exercise they needed as well. Like me, their appetites were huge.

It was a rainy Saturday in June, and I was having lunch with Charlotte at our favorite French restaurant downtown. Her wedding back in April had been a huge success, and every time I saw her, she glowed like the sun. Elliot was probably doing a fantastic job keeping her happy at home.

"We need to go looking for maternity clothes after this," she spoke, taking a bite of her sandwich.

I looked down at my baby bump, which was becoming more noticeable each week. Next Friday was my appointment with Dr. Gillis, and we were finally going to determine the baby's gender. I'd been counting down the days since May.

Hopefully, Derek would be able to come this time.

"We do. My jeans are barely fitting me anymore. What am I supposed to wear now?"

Charlotte smiled, placing her hand over mine.

"Leave it to me, girl. We're getting you a wardrobe makeover. You're gonna look so hot, Derek will be begging to get in your pants."

I wish...

"Hey, why so sad?", Charlotte inquired, her eyes searching my face.

"I'm not sad."

"Yes you are. I've noticed it at work, too. Is something going on between you and Derek?"

I could never get anything past my best friend. She read me like an open book.

"No. It's just...he's been so busy with work lately, I hardly ever get to spend time with him anymore." My shoulders slumped as I slid a piece of steak around my plate.

"Aww, that sucks. Is it bothering him, too? Not being able to spend time with you?"

"I would hope so."