Chapter 42- Before I Fall

Derek's POV

I stood on the front porch, rocking back and forth on my heels as I waited for Ashley to open the door. The moment she did, my eyes lifted to meet hers, and what I saw nearly took my breath away.

For months, I knew she'd been suffering, but I definitely wasn't expecting this.

The woman standing in front of me wasn't the Ashley I'd grown up. Instead, she'd been replaced by someone twice her age. Her once glowing face was now a sickly pale color, and the hollowness of her cheeks didn't go unnoticed either.

"Derek," she greeted with a hoarse voice, fighting back tears.

I reached out to her and pulled her into a hug, stricken by how much weight she'd lost. Her arms clung to me as if her life depended on it, and I let myself be the friend she needed in that moment.

"I'm so sorry, Ash," I murmured, resting my chin on her head.

Just this morning, her mother had passed away after suffering from terminal brain cancer for years. Sarah Lawrence was a wonderful woman who'd contributed more to my childhood than my own mom ever had, and her loss deeply affected me.

I hadn't seen or heard from Ashley since the day I'd fired her, but today, I knew I needed to be there for her. Despite all the things she'd done, she didn't deserve to lose her mother like this.

The past couple of months, I'd gone to visit Sarah in the hospital whenever I could, but even then, I could tell that her life was hanging by a thread.

In mid-July, she was able to go home until three weeks ago when her symptoms came back, more severe than ever. The last days of her life had been spent at a hospital, and knowing that completely devastated me.

"D-do you wanna come inside?", Ashley asked.

"Do you want me to?"

"Yes," she replied, a pleading look in her eyes.

"Alright. But only for a bit." I sighed, glancing at my watch.

"That's fine. My dad's supposed to be here in an hour or so, too. He doesn't want me to have to spend the night alone."

I nodded, and she stepped aside to let me in. For the next half hour, we sat on the couch drinking wine while making small talk. I asked her about her new job at Ameriprise Financial, and she said it was good.

When it was time for me to leave, I stood up only to see tears pouring down her face again. I cupped her cheek with my hand, feeling her  tremble against my touch.

"Are you gonna be ok?", I asked gently.

"Y-you're such a good man, Derek. Claire is so unbelievably lucky to have you," she choked through her sobs.

I stiffened and dropped my hand, releasing a pent-up breath at the mention of my wife's name. I had to leave now before she got worried about where I was.

And if Ashley had thought that me coming here changed anything between us, then she was wrong. I could never forgive her for all the pain she'd caused Claire.

"Now is not the time for this, Ashley."

"I'm sorry." She directed her gaze to the floor.

I sighed, giving her shoulder a squeeze.

"I have to go. Call me if you need anything. And tell your dad I'm sorry about his loss."

She nodded, and I pressed a brief kiss to her forehead before walking out the front door.