Chapter 45- Forever and Always

September came right around the corner, marking the return of Friday night lights. There was nothing I enjoyed more than watching Nick's football games. Sophia, unfortunately, had broken her ankle so she was out for the soccer season.

"Come on Nick, sack that guy!", Derek yelled, punching the air with his fist.

"Dad, this isn't even high school football. No need to get so worked up," Sophia said with a laugh. She was seated between her father and I on the bleachers.

"Are you kidding me? Every game counts."

"You know, you should just coach the team yourself, dear," I said.

"I'm going to. These coaches don't know what the hell they're doing."

He raked his hair in frustration then stood up with his hands on his hips, surveying the entire field. Just when he was about to speak, cheers erupted from the crowd as one of Nick's teammates ran twenty yards for a touchdown.

A look of satisfaction crossed Derek's face, and I smiled to myself, knowing all too well how much he enjoyed competition. In fact, he'd never lost a deal for his company before. I was jealous of him sometimes- he had no idea what it felt like to lose. At all.

Well, except for that time I ran away from him over a decade ago, and he nearly lost me.

Nick's team ended up defeating their opponent 20-7, and to celebrate, we all went out for ice cream in La Jolla. Derek and I shared a banana split while the kids had giant cones.

"Got any plans for the weekend, dad?", Nick asked.

"Well, I was hoping to take your mom out for a date tomorrow, so you'll spend the day with Grandma and Grandpa."

Derek gave me a sideways glance, grinning boyishly.

"A date? Aww that's so romantic," Sophia sighed.

"But you two are already married. What's the point of a date?", Nick contested.

"I just miss spending time with your mother. We're always so busy with our jobs, I barely see her anymore," Derek replied, reaching out to grab my hand.

Nick frowned slightly.

"If getting married means turning all...soft like this, I don't think I want to."

"Oh, shut up, Nick. Just wait til you fall in love with some girl," Sophia countered.

Derek and I exchanged a glance and then we both burst out laughing. Nick rolled his eyes, and Derek playfully ruffled his hair.

"Believe me, son, I wasn't always 'soft' like you think. Ask your mom, she'll tell you."

"Leave me out of this," I joked as I resumed eating my ice cream.

"So you'll go on that date with me tomorrow?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

He gave me the most breathtaking smile, and my heart began drumming rapidly in my chest. Nothing had changed- everything about him still made me weak in the knees.

That night, I slept exceptionally well after making slow, sweet love with Derek, but in the morning, I woke up to an empty bed.

Frowning, I clutched the sheets to my chest and checked my phone to see if he had left a message. None.

Just when I was about to call him, my head turned towards the door at the sound of footsteps. Derek strolled into the room, dressed in jeans and a black polo, looking as handsome as ever.