Chapter 19- Golfing Adventures

Labor Day weekend came right around the corner. Derek's parents were hosting their annual charity golf event to raise awareness for multiple sclerosis- an autoimmune disease that affected the central nervous system.

The event was held at their private country club over in La Jolla. It had an exceptional landscape, with lush green grass, colorful assortments of flowers, and a giant marble fountain at the front entrance. There were several doctors and businessmen present that were well-known all throughout California.

I was socializing with some of the wives in the banquet hall while our husbands were outside golfing. Ashley was also here, but I hadn't seen her yet. For all I cared, she could probably be flirting with Derek right now.

"Claire!", I heard someone call.

I turned my head around to see none other than Heather Weston walking towards me. I frowned but then remembered what my husband had told me about everything she'd been through.

Just be patient with her, my subconscious assured.

"Oh, hi, Heather! How are you?", I greeted with a forced smile plastered on my face.

"I'm great, darling," she replied, giving me a kiss on both cheeks.

I waited for her to make a rude comment about my strapless white dress, but to my utter relief, she didn't.

"This is a lovely event you've put on. The golf course looks beautiful," I complimented.

"Thank you. Do you play?"

"Golf? No, I don't. I never really had an interest in it."

"That sounds like me. Derek and his father love it, though," she said with a smile.

"I can see that. They've both been outside for quite a while."

"No surprise there. Well, I'm going to go check on everyone else. Try the clam chowder. It's really good," she recommended, pointing to the large bowl on my table.

"I will. Bye, Heather."

I gave her a hug and then she headed towards the table next to mine. My stomach was so full, but the clam chowder sure looked tempting. Chelsea, one of the women sitting with me, also had her eyes on it.

"Are you going to try some?", she asked.

"I don't know. I mean, I am pretty full, but maybe a little bit wouldn't hurt. Are you?"

"Well, since my husband isn't here to see how much I've eaten already, why not?"

Chelsea gave me a goofy grin, and I couldn't help but laugh. I guessed I wasn't the only food addict at this table.

I ladled a small serving of the chowder into my bowl and just as I was about to put the spoon into my mouth, I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders.

My body immediately tensed, and I let out a high-pitched squeal. Chelsea was giggling at my reaction and greeted whoever it was behind me with a smile.

"Missed me?", Derek murmured, placing a kiss on the top of my head. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"You freaking scared the hell out of me!", I scolded, turning around in my seat to face him. He smiled crookedly.

"Sorry, babe. Anyways, are you done eating yet?"

"Well, I was gonna try some of this soup, but-,"

"Good. Let's go outside now, shall we?", he interrupted, grabbing my arm.

I had no choice but to go with him as he dragged me away from my precious clam chowder. I stared at it with longing eyes until it finally disappeared from my sight.