Chapter 36- Promises

"Ooh, that's cold!", I squealed as Dr. Gillis rubbed some gel onto my belly.

"Everyone says that the first time," she said, smiling.

It was a Friday afternoon and both Derek and I had taken an hour off from work for my doctor's appointment. We were practically like two hyperactive kids during the car ride here, unable to sit still and contain our excitement.

Today was my very first ultrasound despite the fact that I was only about ten weeks pregnant. Typically, women received their first ultrasounds somewhere between the eighteenth to twentieth week, but Dr. Gillis wanted to confirm my due date.

Prior to today, getting an acceptance letter from Stanford had been the most exciting thing that'd ever happened to me. Now, I would be experiencing something much greater- the chance to finally see my baby.

Derek gave me a warm smile then turned to the monitor as Dr. Gillis began rubbing the transducer over my abdomen.

"You're still at a very early stage in your pregnancy, so I don't expect we'll see much today," she stated.

I nodded in understanding and simply lay there, waiting. Minutes felt like hours when the silence finally broke.

"I see something!", Derek exclaimed, jumping out of his seat and pointing to the screen.

"What is it, honey?", I asked anxiously.

"Our baby! Aww, it looks like a bean!"

My eyes quickly darted to the monitor and I realized Derek's description couldn't be more accurate. The fetus indeed resembled a bean. At this point, it was difficult to make out any features, but nonetheless, I thought it was the most precious thing I'd ever seen.

"Good observation, Mr. Weston," Dr. Gillis remarked with a laugh.

Derek went to stand next to me and held my hand, giving it an affectionate squeeze.

Apart from seeing our baby, we also got to listen to the steady sound of its heartbeat, and it felt utterly surreal. I couldn't help the tear that escaped as I thought about the new life Derek and I had created together, a symbol of our undying love.

"I can't wait til the day he's born," he said quietly, gazing into my eyes.

"He? You think it'll be a boy?"

"I've been having these feelings, almost like a sixth sense, that you're pregnant with Derek Jr."

I gave him a strange look then began to laugh.

"Derek Jr.? Wow, that's creative."

"I know right." He smirked.

To be honest, I couldn't care less whether we had a boy or girl, but if I had to choose, I'd want our first child to be a boy. It would be nice to have a son that could look after his younger siblings.

Growing up with Justin as my older brother had been wonderful. Our mother never once doubted his ability to protect me and act as my role model. He was kind, responsible, and honest. Any girl would be lucky to have him for a husband.

Now, if he and Lauren would just get married already...

When the ultrasound was complete, I changed back into my dress then sat down next to Derek as we listened to Dr. Gillis go over some important details regarding my pregnancy.

"Well, first of all, you're doing great. The baby is healthy, and other than the usual morning sickness and increased sexual drive, you should be perfectly normal."