7. Duke Arlen

As the group gathers their weapons, Thanh's fingers brush against a small dagger tucked away among her belongings. She acquired it during a visit to Peiris, the bustling capital of Pydnan. It was there that the group had an eye-opening realization about Nano, realizing that he wasn't quite what they had initially perceived him to be.

432 days ago

As Nano officially becomes a member of the group, he quickly establishes himself as the strongest member despite his low rank. While the group deliberates on their next job, Nano's keen senses detect the approach of a significant number of armed knights. Within seconds, a contingent of Golden Hawks knights marches into the guild, forming an imposing line on either side of the entrance.

Nano: what are those knights?

Durin: they're Golden Hawk, an elite group of the Pydnan liberation army.

Nano carefully observes the soldiers, noting their formidable appearance and the intricate golden patterns adorning their armor. The lavish decorations suggest affiliations with noble families or a display of wealth and status, possibly intended to intimidate peasants or rival factions.

Elise: the golden hawks usually serve as the personal guard of someone close to the crown of Pydnan, right now, Duke Arlen is one of the crown's closest aristocrats.

Golden Hawk's general: To all the members of the Arlen guild of bounty hunters, show your respects to Duke Arlen.

Nano carefully observes Duke Arlen, noting his opulent attire and the stark contrast between his luxurious appearance and the humble surroundings of the city he governs. This observation confirms Nano's suspicions about the duke's extravagant lifestyle and his reliance on delegating administrative duties to his personal retinue. The duke's demeanor and indulgence towards his children further solidify Nano's perception of him as a figure of privilege and opulence, detached from the realities of the common folk.

Nano observes the dysfunctional dynamics within Duke Arlen's family, noting the cruelty of his eldest daughter, Millia, who takes pleasure in mistreating the servants and indulging in sadistic behavior. This behavior reflects the unchecked power and entitlement afforded to noble families, allowing them to abuse those beneath them without consequence.

The portrayal of Erus Arlen as an overweight and spoiled individual highlights the lack of discipline and accountability within the family. Nano recognizes the injustice of Erus's instructors allowing him to win sparring matches out of fear of retribution, a stark example of the corruption and abuse of power within the aristocracy.

Chariot, the youngest daughter, represents a potential for change within the family. Nano sees her innocence and youth as an opportunity to break the cycle of cruelty and entitlement that plagues her siblings. However, he acknowledges that true change may require drastic measures, perhaps even a revolution, though he understands that such actions must be carefully considered and timed.

Duke Arlen: Distinguished citizens of the Duchy of Arlen, I address you today in search of volunteers willing to receive the esteemed privilege of serving as my personal guard during my journey to the city of Peiris, known as the beacon of freedom and progress in the Central Plains of Therabilia. Those who choose to accept this noble duty shall be generously rewarded for their service.

No one says a word, until the guild admin. breaks the ice.

Admin: eh, Your Highness, if you wish, I can recommend some-

The Golden Hawks raised their atgeirs in a defensive stance as the administrator approached the Duke, who raised a hand to signal the guards to stand down.