10. The frontline

In the frontier city of Betfordge, located in the Chalcos county of the Duchy of Calumia, two Calumian soldiers are observing their comrades, along with some Pydnan and Witbusean soldiers, as they clean the trenches after the last battle against Valardian scout teams. The soldiers were ordered to collect any type of metal or equipment for recycling due to the low budget of the Calumian military. They were also instructed to recover any Valardian muskets and ammo that could be found. So far, the cleaning teams have only found crossbows, and there are no signs of firedust. This gives hope to the soldiers who assumed they would be fighting against firearms, which also means not all Valardian soldiers have muskets.

Several Axis countries have provided aid to the Calumian frontier, including food and equipment, as well as sending their legions to protect the city. The dead bodies were burned for three consecutive days, while the citizens were taken to Losfeldia, which is considered a secure location because a Valardian attack on Losfeldia would be a waste of resources. Currently, Valardia is focused on the central plains, giving Losfeldia enough time to prepare.

As the guards take turns watching from the tower, the new ones begin playing Troma, a popular board game similar to Xiangqi. After an hour, one of the guards loses 24 golden vinosos and becomes angry with the other guard. Just then, as he gets up from his chair, he notices something slightly moving across the high grass. He alerts the other guard, who takes a magically powered spyglass to look where his friend is pointing. The guard then alerts the crossbowmen to get ready. As one of the soldiers points his crossbow at the grass, a musket is fired, and the soldier is killed instantly.

Calumian soldier: Man down, man down! Activate the alert!

A soldier activates a flare, which shoots up into the air and explodes, alerting the fortress of an enemy attack. The sound of muskets firing can be heard across the wall. Meanwhile, wizards chant protection spells over the soldiers to help them resist the projectiles. From a watchtower, a group of soldiers launches a flare into the high grass so their allies can see and shoot at the Valardian soldiers. Suddenly, a loud noise startles everyone.

Pydnan soldier: watch out! They're using cannons!

Lieutenant: are the adult dragons ready?

Soldier: sorry sir, but we just have 11 young dragons ready.

Lieutenant: fine, send them up so they can fire at those valardians, and make two of them do reconnaissance across the entire city so we don't get any surprise attack.

The soldier goes to carry out the orders given by the lieutenant, while the latter retrieves some muskets, ammunition, and a box containing a new prototype weapon called the "explosive pot." This weapon can be thrown at the enemy to cause an explosion. The lieutenant then proceeds to a watchtower.

Lieutenant: does anyone know how to fire a musket?

Four soldiers lift their hands.

Lieutenant: All right, now grab a weapon and provide support to your fellow soldiers from this position. We have limited ammunition, so make each shot count. And you two, take this device and listen carefully. Light the match and wait precisely four seconds before throwing it. Not a second more or less.

Four soldiers took their muskets and began firing at the Valardians. The other two soldiers started throwing an explosive pot, and after a few seconds, the weapon exploded, killing several Valardian soldiers.

Meanwhile, the young dragons flew over the Valardians who tried to fire at them. However, due to the dragons' speed and the darkness of the night, the Valardians couldn't hit a single shot. The dragon riders then dropped a new throwing weapon at the cannons, destroying them.