22. Fall of Eurebia

As Elise and the others reflect on their encounters with Nano, they recall the day they first met him, initially mistaking him for a simple golem. However, as they spent more time with him, their perception gradually shifted. They witnessed his unique abilities, from his peculiar drones to the devastating power of his advanced firearms. Despite his otherworldly origins, Nano immersed himself in the study of Therabilia and its magic, demonstrating a keen intellect and a thirst for knowledge.

Now, faced with the realization that Nano holds the answers to many of their questions, they grapple with how to approach him. His diary offers glimpses into his past and his connection to another world, but obtaining further clarity seems daunting. With Nano engrossed in repairing his systems, they ponder the best course of action, knowing that the truth about his nature could reshape their understanding of him and their world.

The same night

As the night falls over the unreclaimed territory in the north of Eurebia, dragons soar through the darkened sky, their imposing figures silhouetted against the moonlit clouds. With precision, they deposit their cargo in hidden pockets of the forest, where non-humans toil away, cutting through the thick foliage reminiscent of the forests found in Oregon.In another part of the territory, more non-humans labor to unload the supplies brought by the dragons, guided by Valardian soldiers who direct them on where to place the materials. A sprawling camp takes shape, its various zones dedicated to soldiers' barracks, command centers, and the assembly of siege engines using parts ferried from Valardia.Near the improvised harbor, ships are being laden with fire dust and ammunition, preparing for bombardments on Eureba from the sea. Warlord Eivory observes the meticulous organization of the soldiers, a sense of anticipation hanging heavy in the air.Suddenly, a letter arrives for him, bearing news that prompts a swift decision. Eivory orders the field general to regroup the entire field army, a force numbering a formidable 100,000 soldiers. With resolve, the warlord prepares to address his troops, knowing that the time for action is imminent.

The warlord's speech echoes across the vast expanse of the field, his words resounding with conviction and determination:

"Today, we stand as the embodiment of the Valardian Empire's strength and resolve. We bring an end to centuries of ignorance and defiance in the western territories of Therabilia. No longer shall we tolerate the misguided beliefs of those who cling to the false notion of equality between humanity and the monstrous beings that inhabit these lands.We will expand the reach of our empire until every coastline in the west lies under the rule of Korrin Sothaunn. We shall bring order to the  barbarian nations of the Axis, extinguishing their falsehoods and ushering in an age of prosperity.But none of this will come to pass unless each and every one of you pledges your unwavering support to the will of our Korrin. Together, with your comrades by your side, we shall dismantle the Axis and pave the way for a future where righteousness reigns supreme.Let this year be remembered as the year we brought order and justice to the continent and beyond. Let us forge ahead, united in purpose, to secure the destiny of our empire and ensure the prosperity of generations to come!"

The Valardian soldiers raise their sabers high, the traditional signal of war, and move to their designated positions as the siege engines advance towards the Linonnium River, marking the frontier between Eurebia and the unreclaimed territories of northern Therabilia. In this cold and scarcely populated region, the frontier is lightly guarded, lacking any significant threat or civilization.Midnight is chosen as the opportune moment to launch the attack on both fronts: the city of Condie near Eureba and Conianum across the river. An Eurebian soldier stationed in Conianum notices a red light emanating from the forest on the opposite bank of the river, moments before projectiles rain down upon the city from various directions within the dense forest.Despite the broad span of the river, approximately 150 meters wide, the Eurebian ballistae are unable to effectively target the hidden Valardian bombards. Horizontal siege engines akin to mangonels have the potential to reach the bombards, yet due to the scarcity of fire dust weapons within the city's arsenal, they are unable to inflict significant damage upon the Valardians across the river.Meanwhile, on the lake, small Valardian ships launch an assault on the lakeside city of Condie, prompting a swift message via dragon to be sent to Eureba. In response, Eureba prepares its warships to aid Condie, while the larger Valardian fleet awaits the signal to advance towards Eureba.Conianum suffers considerable destruction due to its size and limited defenses. Valardian forces construct makeshift bridges with the aid of wizards to breach the city's walls. The following day, human citizens are imprisoned within the city jail and fortress, while non-humans are subjected to forced labor and senseless killings—a grim reminder of Valardia's ruthless tactics in conquered territories.In response to the attack on Condie, Eureba mobilizes its entire naval fleet from the lake to assist the besieged city. With the Valardian navy concealed within the dissipating fog, a message arrives via bird to the fleet admiral's ship, instructing them to advance towards Eureba.