24. Welcome to the Therabilia Axis

The writing will change from this chapter
—————————————————

Fulato Krefkenn stood in disbelief as he absorbed the contents of the letter before him. Valardian ground forces, consisting of a formidable array of cavalry, musketeers, lancers, and what appeared to be heavy artillery engines, were amassing a force of at least 12,000 soldiers. Their relentless advance from northern Eurebia towards the east, heading straight for the city of Eurebia, sent a chill down Krefkenn's spine. The city's small naval force seemed insignificant in the face of this impending threat.

The Valardians pressed on, marching through towns without a second glance, leaving only a handful of soldiers behind every few days. Initially, it was believed they would continue south towards Ephidrosia, until a sudden change in their route, prompted by the arrival of a messenger falcon, altered their course.

"This is dire," Krefkenn muttered, his mind racing with potential strategies. "We could dispatch our reserve troops to Eurebia for reinforcement, but that would leave our southern frontline vulnerable."

Didar nodded grimly in agreement. "And with Valardia seizing control of the port towns, sending ships to the lake is out of the question. Akromis is deserted, and any attempt to prepare it for naval deployment would only invite further aggression from our enemies."

Krefkenn's eyes flickered with determination as an idea took root. "The Golem."

Didar's brow furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Nano," Krefkenn clarified, his voice gaining strength. "He holds sway within the Axis. If we can persuade him to seek an alliance on our behalf..."

Didar's expression softened as he grasped the gravity of Krefkenn's proposal. "But at what cost?"

Krefkenn met his gaze with unwavering resolve. "If Valardia breaches the shores of the Iroley Sea, it's not just Therabilia that will suffer. Our people will pay the price. Our priority is to keep Valardia at bay, far from our western shores."

Understanding dawned on Didar's face as he nodded in agreement. "I see. We must act swiftly."

Didar and Krefkenn had made a decision that their predecessors never dared to consider: joining the Therabilia Axis. With this resolution, they penned a letter addressed to the Principality of Mish in Eastern Therabilia. Due to Valardia's stranglehold on the reclaimed territories, trade via the Iroley Sea served as the sole means of communication between Eastern and Western Therabilia. Accompanied by various other missives, the letter from the bishop and the fulato set sail on a modest trading vessel, traversing through the Heptarchy of India, passing through Ingorkenia, until finally arriving at a post office in the city of Mish, where it was promptly forwarded to the royal palace where Nano currently resided.

In his studio, Nano gazed upwards, pondering the cryptic message Elise had conveyed to him a few days prior, her silence speaking volumes. Though he sensed she harbored a secret, she chose to remain tight-lipped. His musings were interrupted by a maid bearing a stack of letters, among which lay one bearing the names of Fulato Krefkenn and Inquisitor Didar. Aware of its significance, Nano wasted no time in perusing its contents.

Utilizing his rapid data reading capabilities, Nano absorbed the letter's contents in a matter of seconds, prompting him to don his coat and hasten to the throne room to confer with the prince. Together, they embarked on a journey to Peiris, accompanied by Elise and their entourage.

"I can hardly believe we're returning to Pydnan after all this time," remarked Elise.

"It does feel rather surreal, especially considering the uncertain duration of our stay," Mogens added.