40- Instigated

"No.." I whispered.

Julia can't die.

My entire haughty, stubborn, bratty attitude and will to be disobedient went through the window and was replaced with...nothing.

I had no more personality left in me to act in any other way than utter compliance. I was just a shell of myself standing next to a monster. A powerful one with a gun in his hand.

His finger slid under the trigger and I fell on my knees so fast, had they been glass, they would've shattered.

"Alpha, please !" I begged, my voice barely audible, the part of me who knows how to be respectful made sure to use his title,  I was trying and failing to keep myself from shaking; I had never felt so defeated in my entire life. I fell on all four and closed my eyes with a sob.

Julia can't fucking die...

But I sensed it was happening, I hadn't even begun to process Ruth's death yet. It didn't even sink that Ruth was dead yet. Ruth was still alive in the back of my head, which was the only reason why I was still functioning. 

But Julia would be the last drop..

He turned my way then ticked when his eyes fell on my knees and hands touching the ground. I felt him try to ignore it but he was so bothered that he couldn't help himself from instantly making a comment.

"Get up, the floor is filthy!" he commanded despite himself. Dirtying myself was the last thing on my mind yet he seemed to take it personally, as if I had smeared hose shit over his clothes. 

Suddenly, his thoughts hit me: His vengeance wasn't because of my escape, he was set on shooting Julia because I purposely breathed in that basement air after he told me to get out.

He wanted to establish that I wasn't allowed to fuck up my lungs to get back at him. This was important to him, I never noticed. 

I was making a habit out of jeopardizing my health to spite him, much like I did with food, and he was going to show me immediate consequences until I understood that it wasn't allowed.

It's not a 'Why did you run?' type of punishment, it was a 'why is your shoulder torn?', 'Why did you run out on the street barefoot?' and 'Why did you take a deep breath in that cell?' type of penalty.

I slowly started standing up, realizing there could actually be a way to save this. The fact that he was doing this out of concern and not revenge gave me hope.

For a split second, it clicked in my head to use this bond thing Kiba told me about against him, but the last time I had let this weird voice guide me, it backfired and he tried to drown me instead. I had no idea what I did wrong and I was scared of doing it again.

I couldn't afford to make a mistake with Julia's life on the line, especially since I barely know anything about this mate bond and how it operates.

Not just a bond, but an Instinct...

"Please, don't!" I repeated quietly.

I was inside his head, I knew he was dead set on shooting her. He had a mission. It seemed so pointless to me to plead, that I might as well skip the bargaining and start grieving now.

I could try and promise to never hurt myself anymore, even if I didn't really care..

He twitched and pointed the gun towards Julia again, as if he heard me. My heart stopped beating for a second at the resolve in his head and I fell to my knees again.