𝐒𝟏:𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝟐𝟎

█ ✪ █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█ ✪ █

Fuck.

You strain your eyes open, staring at the bright ceiling that seems to be glaring back at you. The rays of morning sunshine from outside your window land on your ceiling, waking up the entire room. The room seems to spin and does your stomach as you feel something on it way up to greet you.

Fuck.

With a slow, agonising turn of your head, you find your phone nestled in the sea of sheets. Outstreching your arms, your palm makes contact with the face of your phone, which seems to be slightly unresponsive. You double-tap your phone screen and struggle to hold it up to your face. 7:30. Shit. Work starts in half an hour.

You forcefully heave yourself out of bed, sitting on the edge of your bed for a couple of minutes to recollect yourself and your senses, all to keep the threatening spill of vomit from escaping. Your head pounds rhythmically as you stumble to your drawer to look for the box of painkillers, which you swear you've seen lying around a week or so ago.

I'm never drinking before work again. FUck th at YOLO mentality. You manage to walk over to your bathroom with improved stability, though you don't seem to remember much of what happened once you had a drink too many, toothbrush in your mouth as you continue with your day.

I don't seem to remember being hungover bothering you this much. Has it really been that long since I've got drunk? Maybe Naaila is right and I should get out more. A 24-year-old woman can't handle her own beverages.

Speaking on Naaila, you cant seem to put a finger on her current whereabouts, if she actually went home or happened to be nestled in your bed.

Soon enough, you get yourself put together and head back to your room, to which you see Naaila sprawled out on the hallway floor. Cautiously, you tiptoe around your friends and hastily make your way over to your car. The engine starts and you are on your way, mentally thanking the gods that the traffic seems to have mysteriously disappeared, though what hasn't seemed to have disappeared is your pounding headache, it's all you can think about.

I'll never drink another drop till I'm 60 but by then I won't be bothered enough to drink.

"G'Morning Y/N." At the mention of your name, you lift your head up from out of your purse, noticing two receptionists walking up to you with birthday hats on their heads and a colourfully decorated box in their hands. "Happy birthday to you." Darios starts off, handing you your balloons.

"Aww guys, is this for me, really." You gush out your heart melting at the kind gesture.

"Happy birthday to you." Annalise carries on, ignoring your remark and deciding to be a part of this musical. "Happy birthday dear Y/N happy birthday to you." They finish off with loud party blowers all up in your face. You giggle and try to cover your ears with any limbs you have left, a failed attempt as both your hands are full. "Okay open up your presents." Annalise seems to be very agitated as she stands from one foot to another, nearly loosing balance and making Darios put a firm grip on her shoulder to keep her in place.

Velvety fur, rich shades of snow white and midnight black. Its eyes, dark beads and nose, a precisely placed tangerine blob of material. The plushes stitched smile ties it all together and melts your heart instantly. "Awww a penguin plush. I love it." you confess looking up at them thankfully.

"There's more." Darios explains, handing you the other box that's been in his palm. The box is smaller than the other. You hastily open the box, revealing a silver mental, that sways as you hold it up in the air to observe it. Dangling from it is a small Hello Kitty Plush who's wearing her signature blue overalls. "We didn't know what to get you but we figured you might like these." Darios says.

"Like these? I love them. This so thoughtful and you did NOT have to do this. Aww guys c'mere." you pull your two coworkers into a strong, appreciative hug, relishing this moment with them. "I love these presents, thank you so much." You say once again.

"Okay well go, you basically have half an hour late." Your blood runs cold at the statement, yet you quickly brush it off once you say your goodbye and get into the elevator to your office. Once you reach the end of the corridor, in front of your obscured glass door, you notice how it's been open a smidge, a crack.

Huh? I'm sure I locked this door.

You swing open your office door, revealing a man in a cream-coloured coat hunched over your desk. "Hello?" You ask, causing the man to jolt at the sudden noise. It's Nanami, his golden locks are unmistakable. "Mr. Nanami?" You ask, your brow rising in confusion. Your suspicion is;r settled when he instinctively steps in front of something, clearly hiding something very miserably.

"L/N. I didn't expect you here so soon." He looks visibly startled by your appearance.

"I'm very late sit, 27 to be exact." you state.

"Ah right."

"So what's going on there?" You lean over to see past him but he blocks you, his larger body covering your line of sight.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You're going to have to leave this office eventually then Ill see what you're hiding behind your back so you may as well move now."

Nanami takes a second as he pauses, replaying your words in his mind and reluctantly steps away. Behind him is roughly about 8 inches, every crevice covered in pure white vanilla buttercream frosting. Walking up towards the cake, you read the writing on top that reads " Happy Birthday Y/N." Simple, not too much and not too little. Perfectly appropriate cake for your employees.

"Wow." The words come out of your mouth so quietly that Nanami almost doesn't catch it.

"Happy birthday." he says, a smile on his face.

Your face heats up and your cheeks burn. You thank him sheepishly, "Thanks."

"I should probably get back to work." He says. "Today's your day, don't overwork yourself." You nod and with that, the door shuts with a soft click. You feel your heart start to kick in and pump and throw itself around inside your ribcage like crazy.