CHAPTER 1

Maplekit stood nervously beside her sister, Bloomkit, in the center of the Clan meeting hollow. Their mother was there, watching with warm, proud eyes, and Thrushflight, too, and everyone in the Clan, even the newest kits. It was Maplekit's six moon birthday, and it was time to become an apprentice. I hope I get a nice mentor, Maplekit thought. Maybe auntie Goosefur. Or Dapplecreek. Or Foxjump. Just so long as it isn't Jaggedclaw. Maplekit knew just about every warrior in the clan--not by meeting them, of course; Redpoppy told her all the best stories in the nursery. Senior warriors were much too busy with their clan duties to hang out in the nursery. Dapplecreek and Thrushflight always found time to come, though.

Bloomkit didn't look half as nervous as Maplekit, but then Bloomkit was never nervous. I bet she'll be an awesome hunter, Maplekit thought, looking at her sister's much longer limbs, but I'll be the best fighter! She unsheathed her claws and admired them proudly.

"Maple," her mother hissed, "eyes forward. The Ceremony of Paws is about to start."

Maplekit immediately stood up straight and curled her tail around her big, white paws. I'm ready! Fallensnow's kits, Freezekit, Stormykit, and Skykit watched jealously from the nursery entrance. Don't worry! Maplekit thought. In a few moons it'll be your turn, too!

Yellowstar perched proudly above the clan, her green eyes gleaming, her yellow fur catching fire from the sun. On her head lay a crown of flowers and vines, and around her chest lay a necklace fashioned from the bones of sparrows, mice, shrews, and squirrels. At the base of the stone sat two paw wreaths made of ivy and little white blossoms. The deputy, Paletuft, a she-cat with long, white fur and blue eyes, lounged below the meeting rock, looking regal and intimidating with her own smaller crown of roots. Is she... Scowling at me? Or is that how she always looks? She gulped. I take it back. I'd rather have Jaggedclaw than her. A voice in her head insisted it'd be the best thing, really, to be mentored by the deputy--the quickest way to power. She pushed it back. Who cares? I want to be a good warrior. I don't have to be leader or anything.

"FireClan of Thunder forest! May the Ageless Ones bless you!" Yellowstar yowled.

"May StarClan guide you," the Clan meowed back.

"Today we gather for the Ceremony of Paws. Maplekit, Bloomkit, come forward."

Trying not to tremble, Maplekit stepped forward and looked up at her regal leader.

"Dapplecreek," Yellowstar said, "you are a quick and compassionate warrior with moons of experience. It is beyond time to give you an apprentice for your own. Come, and tie your wreath to this apprentice's paw." Solemnly, Dapplecreek stepped forward and picked up one of the wreaths. Maplekit licked her chest fur, and Dapplecreek tied the wreath around her paw. I got Dapplecreek! I can't believe it! The tortoiseshell she-cat purred warmly down at Maplekit. I swear I'm gonna behave! I'll make you proud.

"Maplekit-of-Redpoppy," Yellowstar meowed, "do you swear fealty to the warrior code, to the Ageless Ones, and to FireClan?"

"I do," Maplekit said.

"Then, from now on, you will be called Maplepaw. Welcome, Maplepaw."

"Maplepaw! Maplepaw! Maplepaw!" the Clan cheered. "Maplepaw!" Bloomkit beamed up at her sister.

Glowing, Maplepaw padded over to sit between her mother and her mentor. "Congratulations, little one," her mother purred, and set to grooming Maplepaw's fur.

"Bloomkit, step forward." Bloomkit bounded to sit below the meeting rock. Redpoppy scolded her for being rambunctious, but Yellowstar only laughed. "Paletuft, step forward." Still looking annoyed, the deputy got up and strode over to Bloomkit. Maplekit swallowed back a surge of jealousy. I'm happy with Dapplecreek. I'm happy with Dapplecreek. I'm happy with Dapplecreek... She shook her head, clearing the jealousy away. "Paletuft, you are a fierce warrior, and a loyal deputy. I know you will teach this paw how to follow in the path of the Ageless Ones and their warrior code."