CHAPTER 11

"Maplepaw," came a soft voice. "It's time to wake up."

Someone was gently cleaning her fur. Warm fur wrapped around her. Her throat burned; her face stung; her muscles ached. Yet the nest was soft and warm and reminded her of the nursery, and Maplepaw didn't want to wake up. She teetered on the edge of dreams, dreams where nothing hurt and prey jumped into her paws.

"Maple." The mew was more urgent now. "Cloudstep says you need to wake up."

Obediently, Maplepaw opened her eyes, wincing at the pain from the rip up and down her right eyelid. She blinked again, and if hurt less this time.

"Redpoppy." She tried to purr, but it hurt her throat. "You're okay."

"Where does it hurt?" It was Cloudstep, a bundle of herbs swaying from his jaws.

"My throat," Maplepaw said, and was startled to hear the rasp in her voice. "Sore. And the cut on my eyelid."

"How sore? Can you swallow? Try to swallow this."

Grimacing, Maplepaw forced herself to lap up a droplet of honey. Swallowing sent claws of pain down her throat, but she managed to do it.

"Good." Cloudstep sniffed her appraisingly. "It's just bruised. It will heal with time. You'll be fine so long as infection doesn't set in."

Maplepaw sat up in the nest. Though her muscles groaned, they complied. A smelly green poultice was plastered against the fur on her neck.

"You still need to rest," said the medicine cat. "No hunting or border patrols for at least two days. But you are well enough to sit vigil."

Maplepaw stared at him, mouth open in shock. "Vigil?"

"Oh, my dear," said Redpoppy softly. "I forgot how long you were out. Come. It's best if I show you."

Redpoppy lead her into the clearing. Dawn was just beginning to spread its soft orange light across the ravine. Maplepaw couldn't suppress a gasp of shock and grief as she saw the four shapes laid out in the center of camp. Goosefur... Nettlescratch... Foxjump... StarClan above, not Webclaw, too! Most of the Clan sat quietly around their bodies. Acorntail had his nose buried deep in his mentor's ginger fur. Flowers and fragrant herbs dotted their pelts. Maplepaw padded forward as if in a daze, unable to look away from the lifeless bodies of her Clanmates. This is all my fault. It was Maplepaw who'd sent Goosefur and Nettlescratch to guard the nursery. It was Maplepaw who hadn't been quick enough when she heard Nettlescratch yowl in pain. All my fault...

"Come say goodbye," mewed Redpoppy softly. Maplepaw squeezed next to Jaggedclaw by Goosefur's body.

"You were so kind to me when I was a kit," said Maplepaw softly into the queen's gray fur. "Auntie Goosefur. You should have lived out your last days in comfort in the elder's den with Oaktree and Webclaw." She glanced at the elder's still form. Downtail's muzzle rested on Webclaw's head. Maplepaw remembered with a pang that Webclaw had been Downtail's father.

Redpoppy pressed herself against Maplepaw. Soon Bloompaw and Thrushflight came, too, and the four shared silently in their grief as sunrise bloomed over the camp walls. Maplepaw's legs were stiff by the time Yellowstar meowed from the Highledge.

"FireClan." Her voice was firm, but soft. "We remember these loyal warriors with pride. It is time to give them to StarClan." Heart heavy, Maplepaw watched as Oaktree, Beechwhisker, Paletuft, Jaggedclaw, and Downtail carried the four dead cats out of camp to be buried.

"Thank StarClan you're okay," said Bloompaw. Maplepaw looked at her for the first time; her sister's solid ginger fur was ripped in places, and a few scars crossed her shoulder, but otherwise she seemed well.