CHAPTER 14

Sunrise seemed to come as soon as Mapledawn closed her eyes next to Bloompaw in the apprentice den. She stretched, nudging her sister awake.

"Are you excited?" she asked.

"Yes." Bloompaw purred. "Maybe I'll get my warrior name after this."

"I bet you will." She pressed her muzzle to Bloompaw's cheek. "You'll make a fantastic warrior."

The battle patrol was already lining up by the camp entrance. Cloudstep fed them bundles of strengthening herbs; Bloompaw trotted over happily and gulped hers down, wincing as she swallowed the bitter herbs.

Wrencatcher was saying goodbye to his sister. As Mapledawn watched, the gold-flecked she-cat fixed her with a withering glare. Mapledawn glared back, not caring what cat saw. You're stealing him from me, she thought, biting back a growl. Stealing him from me like you stole my Clan in a past life. But there was nothing she could do. The she-cat turned her back on Mapledawn, and Wrencatcher didn't look at her at all. I'll prove to you I'm a loyal warrior. Maybe this battle would change things between them. Maybe fighting side-by-side with Wrencatcher would prove to him that she could be trusted.

Mapledawn watched the battle patrol leave. Bloompaw raised her tail in goodbye and trotted happily after her mentor, Paletuft.

"Cloudstep." Mapledawn followed the medicine cat to his den. "I'm going to watch over you today."

"I don't need a guard," the medicine cat said. "I know how to fight."

"The Clan can't afford to lose you. You may not like it, but you'll just have to deal with it."

The medicine cat laughed. "Cheeky young warrior. Fine, fine. But stay out of the den. You'll wreck all my herbs."

Mapledawn paced in front of the medicine cat den as the battle patrol left. She paused now and then, straining her ears to listen for the sounds of battle, but the early morning was quiet and still. Wrencatcher and Birchnose stood by the elder den while Redpoppy and Dapplecreek guarded the nursery. Thrushflight crouched at the camp entrance, staring unblinking into the forest.

She was getting impatient. Her fur felt like it was full of ants. Mapledawn paced up and down, stealing the occasional glance at Wrencatcher while her paws took her neat circles around the medicine den entrance. He stood with his red tail around his pale ginger paws.

Mapledawn poked her head into the den. "Cloudstep, do you need any help sorting--"

A cat's yowl cut her off. Frecklefang! The flecked she-cat barrelled into camp, fur brushed out. "BlackClan sent a patrol this way!" she yowled. "I'll try to lead them back into the forest!"

But it was too late. BlackClan was already here.

A smoky gray apprentice leapt at Frecklefang's back. Wrencatcher ran to her side as more BlackClan warriors streamed past the tussling cats, straight into FireClan's camp.

StarClan, help us. They were already outnumbered. Mapledawn's paws itched to leap into the fray, but she had to stay by her post. I must keep Cloudstep safe! Deepshadow, a jet black tom, buried his teeth in Thrushflight's shoulder, making him yowl. Lynxpelt stood on her haunches as she traded blows with both Dapplecreek and Redpoppy.

"You again."

"Heavypaw." Mapledawn hissed and spat, arching her back. The young tom swiped at Mapledawn's ear; Mapledawn grabbed the paw in her jaws, quick as an adder, and bit down until Heavypaw screeched. He backed up, holding his mangled paw in front of him.