CHAPTER 16

Redpoppy moved into the nursery three days later. Fallensnow seemed glad for the company, and Mapledawn was happy for her, but she missed sleeping in the warm comfort of her mother's fur, the scent so much like Bloomspirit's it made her heart ache.

Acorntail slept next to her now. They hadn't spoken about his siblings. They'd hardly spoken at all. She suspected he was lonely and worried--and she was, too. At least I have one friend. And Acorntail didn't talk to her like she was about to break. Only Acorntail and Yellowstar treated her normally anymore. Jaggedclaw looked more suspicious than normal--maybe he believed Wrencatcher's version of events. But Thrushflight, Dapplecreek, Redpoppy, and even Beechwhisker kept giving her worried, pitying looks, and asking if she was okay. No, I'm not okay, she wanted to yowl. Just leave me alone!

Hunting patrols. Border patrols. All the things about Clan life Mapledawn used to love felt empty now, hollow and cold. Greenleaf would end soon. Mapledawn pictured leaf-fall in a different place, with different trees and different cats. No lake sounds constantly murmuring through the forest. Sunningrocks... And a pale brown tom with fierce green eyes.

Mapledawn pushed the memories away. She focused hard on Paletuft's white tail plume in front of her. She, Paletuft, Jaggedclaw, and Dapplecreek were remarking the border between FireClan and BlackClan, stopping here and there to make sure no BlackClan scent had traveled to their side of the forest. Mapledawn glared through the trees, almost wishing a BlackClan patrol would burst from the pines and attack. At least when she fought, everything made sense. And these were the cats that took Bloomspirit from her.

"Sheathe your claws," warned Dapplecreek in Mapledawn's ear. "We don't want to start unnecessary fights."

Mapledawn forced her hackles to smoothe. She couldn't pretend she didn't want revenge. Her dreams were filled with blood these days. But she trusted Yellowstar--the Clan leader would decide if or when it was time to strike back. Every single battle with BlackClan has ended with deaths. Would Scratchface really stop with FireClan? The illegitimate leader obviously had no qualms about murder. He's desperate to prove himself to StarClan... Mapledawn frowned thoughtfully as she helped mark the border. She tried to picture Scratchface in his den. What was he thinking? What did he want? Mapledawn's head hurt. It's hard trying to put myself in such an evil cat's pawsteps!

Maybe he'd attack the other Clans next. After all, Weaselclaw announced her abandonment at a Gathering, in front of every Clan. Scratchface needed to look strong for all of them. There could be a way to end this, Mapledawn thought, before the other Clans get involved. Before more cats die.

Mapledawn, Paletuft, and Jaggedclaw left the BlackClan border behind. I know what I have to do. They pushed along the TallClan border now, spraying clumps of weeds and brambles as they went. I can't ask Yellowstar. The Clan leader was fair and wise--and she seemed to value Mapledawn's opinion. But she'd look weak if she allowed me to do it. A passing TallClan patrol, led by Lightfoot with Greenpod, Tinytail, and a small gray tom in tow, came and greeted them stiffly. Mapledawn hardly noticed.

"How is Swiftstar?" asked Dapplecreek politely.

"Sick," said the tom.

Lightfoot shot the cat a withering glance. "Quiet, Lapwingflight. Swiftstar is fine. She will be well enough by next Gathering."

"May the Ageless Ones bless you." Dapplecreek dipped her head diplomatically. "I'm sure it's nothing to worry about."

"FireClan," muttered Greenpod, just loud enough for Mapledawn to hear. "Always sticking their noses in every Clan's tails."

Mapledawn rolled her eyes. TallClan, always flighty as a couple of baby hares. It's not like Dapplecreek was prying. Lapwingflight had volunteered the information with no prodding at all.

Later, Mapledawn visited Redpoppy and Fallensnow in the nursery, carrying two rabbit kits she'd killed herself. Stormykit and Skykit were playing moss ball, while Freezekit snuggled into her mother's fluffy white fur, watching the game with interest. In the last two days, Redpoppy's belly seemed to have tripled. Redpoppy purred warmly as she accepted the fresh-kill.

"You're huge!" said Mapledawn. "How long now?"

"Still a moon to go," Redpoppy said between mouthfuls of rabbit. "Fallensnow says I'm coming along normally. Cloudstep has me eating herbs like I'm a rabbit."

"You're not young anymore," chuckled Fallensnow. "Cloudstep wants to make sure everything goes well, that's all."

"I'm sure it will be fine," said Mapledawn. New littermates. She looked down at Skykit and Stormykit, tumbling around their paws. I can't even imagine. Freezekit eventually got up to join the game. Her high-pitched squeals of laughter echoed along the nursery walls, and Mapledawn couldn't help but remember her own kithood. Playing moss ball, rock jump, and tail chaser with Bloomkit... Seeing who could leap the highest... Sneaking up on Goosefur and pretending she was a BlackClan invader... Mapledawn felt like a badger's jaws were pressing down on her throat.

"You two were such a handful." Redpoppy's eyes were wistful. "Always wanting to play, begging any warrior in earshot to take you out of camp. Did I ever tell you why I named your sister Bloomkit?"

"No."

"From the moment you were born, Bloomspirit was glued to your side like a burr. I named you Maplekit for the shape of your patches. I named her after the flowers that grow around the old maple tree."

Mapledawn couldn't say anything. If only I'd been there to protect her.

"I know you miss her." Redpoppy rested her tail on Mapledawn's back. "I do, too. But we have to remember the good times. We have to remember how much we loved her. And that we will see her again one day."

"You're right." Of course she was right. But that didn't stop the grief from choking Mapledawn.

"She was proud of you," said Redpoppy, "you know that? So proud of her sister becoming a warrior so quickly. She'd want you to be the best warrior you could be."

She should be a warrior with me! Mapledawn wanted to yowl. But she understood her mother's words. I will be the best warrior I can be. For Bloomspirit. And that meant doing something hard and dangerous without her leader's permission.