CHAPTER 13

When Mapledawn blinked open her eyes, the others were fast asleep. Wrencatcher's paws twitched; maybe he was dreaming of chasing wrens. Acorntail's flanks fell and rose in soft waves. Even Rabbitleap, who was supposed to keep watch, was curled up in a corner against the cool, moonlit stone. Mapledawn stretched and lapped anxiously at her fur, as if cleaning herself could rid the dream from her mind. She padded to the edge of the Moonpool, tail bushed out behind her.

I don't know what to do about this. I don't know what to believe. She was so preoccupied with the Ageless Ones' revelation that she didn't see Frecklefang before it was too late. The gold-flecked she-cat rammed into her side, pinning her against the cool rock, and shoved her muzzle to the ground to keep her from yowling. StarClan, help me! Mapledawn wriggled and thrashed, panic making her heart thrum in her chest. Myler, help me...

"I bet you think you're so special now that you're a warrior," Frecklefang hissed. "Yellowstar should never have given you your warrior name. I saw how she looked at you. Now who do you think will be chosen to mentor Fallensnow's kits? You. Paletuft won't live forever." A single claw unsheathed, burying in Mapledawn's neck. Her half-healed wound stung from the pressure. "I should be deputy. I should be leader. I'm faster, cleverer, stronger. And I'm loyal to my Clan. You think I don't know what you were doing when they found you on RiverClan territory? Yellowstar may have decided inter-Clan romance is totally fine in StarClan's eyes, but it isn't. A cat can't be loyal to two Clans."

"I--never--" Mapledawn tried to choke out the words, but Frecklefang just pushed harder on her throat. RiverClan? Was Frecklefang remembering? Was she really Frecklewish--really the cat Mapledawn had murdered all those seasons ago? As a different cat with a different name?

Suddenly the weight lifted. Acorntail was waking up. Mapledawn sprang to her paws, prepared to slice at Frecklefang's hateful face, but the she-cat had positioned herself on the opposite side of the Moonpool and was lazily cleaning her fur, as if nothing happened. Feeling cold with rage, Mapledawn tucked her tail over her paws, eyes narrowed at Frecklefang. This isn't the last I see of her rage, Mapledawn thought, a tiny thrill of fear running through her. She wants me out of the way. Or dead. She shivered. She knew she could take Frecklefang in a fight, but if the she-cat cornered her, what could she do? Murder her--murder a Clanmate? The Clan would never believe she was innocent.

I wish she'd just lay off. I'm not Mapleshade anymore. I never asked to be made warrior early. I'm not planning on becoming deputy, unless Yellowstar needs me. She has no reason to treat me this way... Yet the thought of becoming deputy made her fur tingle with anticipation. Just imagine: Maplestar, leader of FireClan. She stifled a purr as Frecklefang continued glaring at her.

Rabbitleap got to her paws with an awkward look at the three waking cats, obviously embarrassed to have fallen asleep on duty. Mapledawn noticed for the first time the flecks of gray lining the brown tabby's muzzle. She's getting old. She wanted to come to see her kits meet StarClan.

Wrencatcher's eyes finally blinked open. They flicked to Frecklefang, then to Mapledawn, then back to his paws. His mother padded down the slope as sunrise turned the moors pink, her tail held high to signal for them to follow. Mapledawn walked beside Wrencatcher. He was even more subdued than ever. His gold-flecked eyes were shadowed, and he wouldn't meet Mapledawn's gaze.

"Is something wrong?" Her own issues could wait.

Wrencatcher slowed his pace so they trailed behind the others. "They spoke to me."

"You're not supposed to tell me what they said," warned Mapledawn. "It's for your ears only."

"I know." He looked at her for just a moment, his eyes unreadable. "But it had to do with you, Mapledawn."