CHAPTER 7

"Weaselstar." Yellowstar's voice gave nothing away. The BlackClan strode into camp, her tail held high, while Sunsplash padded behind her, his eyes glinting with defiance. Weaselstar's necklace, which she hadn't worn the night Maplepaw caught her meeting Sunsplash, was made of rat teeth, stoat claws, and crow feathers. "What are you doing in my camp?"

"I have something to say." Her dark red tail curled around Sunsplash's. Cats were leaving their meals and dens to come gawk at the enemy leader. As the couple's tails twined together, Maplepaw heard gasps of surprise through the ravine. "We both do."

"Save it." Yellowstar's tailtip flicked. "I keep close eye on my warriors, Weaselstar. I knew exactly where Sunsplash was sneaking out at all hours, why he always disappeared after Gatherings." She fixed Sunsplash with a hard glare. "It doesn't matter. I know Sunsplash is loyal to his Clan no matter where his silly affections take him. Therefore--"

"You don't understand." Weaselstar bared her teeth in a snarl. "I'm giving up being leader. I want to join your Clan so I can raise my kits with the cat I love."

Stunned silence met the she-cat's words.

Yellowstar's eyes widened, but only for a moment. "Not possible. StarClan would never allow it."

That's what I said! Maplepaw wanted to yowl. They gave you nine lives for a reason!

"I've already talked to my Clan. Tonight, Scratchface and I journey together to the Moonpool. I'm confident our ancestors will come up with some compromise. After all, why would StarClan want a leader who doesn't wish to lead?"

"Weaselstar." A flash of sympathy crossed Yellowstar's muzzle. "You must see reason. A leader cannot abandon her Clan. I am willing to allow you two to meet with my blessing. Sunsplash can see his kits when they're born. Isn't that enough?"

"No," Weaselstar hissed. "He needs to be there every day. How can I lead my Clan from the nursery?"

"Cats have done it before. Almost every Clan has a nursery queen. Do you think I'd abandon my post if I fell pregnant?"

"I've made up my mind."

"And I cannot allow you to do this. At least--not yet. Wait until the next Gathering. Make your case to all the Clans. The loss of a leader effects us all."

Weaselstar's tail swished. "Fine." She dipped her head in a curt, shallow bow. "Until the Gathering." She left, giving Sunsplash one last look before her tail disappeared. Sunsplash padded to the edge of the clearing, looking defiant.

Skykit squeaked from the nursery: "Do we have to let that BlackClan cat live with us? She smells weird."

"Yeah," said Stormykit. "I don't want the whole camp smelling like frogs!"

"Hush," said Fallensnow, ushering her kits back into the nursery. "That's up to Yellowstar."

"Let all cats old enough to be called paw join below Highledge!" Yellowstar yowled, leaping onto the ledge, although it was hardly necessary; even the elders had crept out from their den. The Clan leader's prey bone necklace caught the sun, flashing dull white. "You've heard Weaselstar's plea. I will now hear your thoughts. Cloudstep, you first."

"All I can say," meowed the black-and-white tom, "is that it's up to StarClan."

"And Paletuft?"

"I think it's utterly mousebrained." The deputy's eyes were hard, cold slits. "Our differences are what make the Clans strong. I refuse to punish any cat for following their heart, but we must be practical."

Yellowstar dipped her head. "Oaktree? Beechwhisker? Webclaw?"

Beechwhisker padded up to stand below Highledge. "I think they've both got dandelion fluff between their ears. But Weaselstar makes her own decisions. If she could be loyal to her new Clan, she could be an asset."

Oaktree nodded thoughtfully. "We'll follow your lead, whatever you decide, Yellowstar. This is..."

"Unprecedented," finished Webclaw.

Yellowstar gave them a respectful nod. "And what do my senior warriors think?"

"I believe it's up to StarClan," yowled Jaggedclaw.

"StarClan gets the last word," said Nettlescratch, flicking her gray tabby tail.

"I agree," said Redpoppy. "They're the ones who gave her nine lives. They're the ones that would have to take them back."

Foxjump growled. "Have you all got bees in your brains? This is madness! My brother made a mistake. And now because of it, we're actually considering letting an enemy leader into our Clan?" He shook his head, scoffing. "It's madness." He turned to Sunsplash. "This is all your fault."

"Calm, Foxjump. Anyone else?" A few cats murmured, but no one spoke up. "Then I'll reserve my decision until the Gathering, unless StarClan gives a sign before then. Meeting dismissed."

They're actually considering it. Maplepaw felt like icicles were growing in her veins, spreading cold rot beneath her pelt. They're going to let them do it. An image of the sturdy brown tom flashed through her mind. Jealousy coursed through her. He didn't give that to me. Why should Weaselstar get what I was denied?

"Maple, are you okay?" Bloompaw whispered, snapping Maplepaw out of her daze. "You're trembling."

She was right; Maplepaw's dark red fur was bushed out, her claws unsheathed. She breathed hard, forcing her muscles to unclench.

"I'm okay," she said between gritted teeth. "I'm fine."

You're remembering who you are. Don't fight it. Come back to us.

No, Maplepaw thought back. Whoever I was doesn't matter. It only matters who I am now.