CHAPTER 19

"Mist Shadow, will she survive?"

"I don't know. We have to wait until she wakes up." Unfamiliar cats, their voices tilted with strange accents. "River of Starlight said he'd seen something like this before. A fever so bad the cat started raving."

"What happened?" The first cat's voice was low and tremulous.

"The cat went mad," said the second voice--Mist Shadow, that's a strange name--simply. "Never recovered. Spoke nonsense for the rest of their life."

"Then wake her up." I know that name... Mapledawn struggled to place it. Named after a plant... a tree...

"Yew!" Mapledawn blinked open her eyes to find them crusty and foul from sleep. Her voice croaked in an unfamiliar rasp.

Three cats leaned over her. Yew's eyes were as wide as pools. The second cat, Mist Shadow, was a pale gray she-cat with long, feathery fur and dark amber eyes. The third cat, who hadn't spoken yet, was a sturdy, dark brown tabby with blue eyes. His tall, angular ears bore brown tufts at the edges. He was massive and well-muscled; his frame and even the forest scents clinging to his fur reminded Mapledawn of home.

"I'm okay," she rasped as Yew started nosing her flank. "I think I'm okay." She glanced at the big tabby. He was staring impassively down at her, but he still hadn't said a word.

"She's talking," grunted Mist Shadow. "That's a good sign. Can you tell us your name?"

"Mapledawn."

"Maple Dawn?"

"One word."

"Pleasure to meet you properly. I'm Mist Shadow. You've already met Yew. This is Waiting Falcon."

"Strange names," mused Mapledawn, half to herself.

Mist Shadow shrugged. "No stranger than yours."

"Point taken." She perched upright in her nest; it was made of cleaned prey pelts--rabbit, vole, and rat--and down feathers. Why didn't we think of that? FireClan used animal skins to hold water, but they rarely slept on them. They used moss instead. Mapledawn sunk her claws deep into the furry nest. This is much better.

She glanced around. They were in a shallow ravine surrounded by oak and maple trees. She spotted a few more nests in the ravine, but they didn't look well-used.

"Where are we?"

"This is the Lesser Oak Crash. Over past those trees is the Rat Grounds, good hunting. The Clearpool is that way." Mist Shadow pointed with her tail. "That's the herb garden. Yew will show you around when you're a bit better."

Mapledawn craned her neck, trying to see the landmarks the pale gray queen pointed out. It's almost like a Clan, she realized. Who are these rogues?

"How many cats live here?"

Mist Shadow shrugged again. "A dozen or so right now, but only three of us live here permanently. Me, Lark's Call, and Waiting Falcon. The others, like Yew here, come and go as they please." She cleaned her foreclaws nonchalantly as they spoke. "It's a good spot to raise kits. Sometimes the queens stay, or one of their young. My mother whelped me here before moving on."

"I'll fetch you some prey," said Waiting Falcon. Mapledawn started at his voice; it was deep and low, almost intimidating.

She dipped her head awkwardly. "Thank you." His icy blue eyes regarded her for a moment longer, saying nothing; then he turned and left.