CHAPTER 9

Maplepaw yawned widely, shaking her pelt to try to ease the stiffness in her muscles. She was on dawn patrol with Dapplecreek, Goosefur, Nettlescratch, and Paletuft, and she'd hardly had any time to sleep after the Gathering the previous night. I'm a mouse brain. When Acornpaw didn't wake up in time, Maplepaw, still half-asleep, had eagerly offered to go in his place. Why do they need apprentices for border patrols anyway? She flicked her tail as she followed Dapplecreek toward the BlackClan border. That's a warrior job if I ever heard of one. Still, she reflected, it would be good experience. I won't be an apprentice for long. Who knows, maybe I'll be leading my own dawn patrols as deputy one day. She sighed wistfully. And then leader. Maplestar, leader of FireClan, with Bloompaw--no, Bloomwhisper--no, Bloomtail--or maybe Bloomheart?--as my deputy!

Maplepaw paused, tense, expecting the shadowy voices to pipe up. Right about now. She glanced around. Nothing.

"Keep a sharp eye," Paletuft called behind her. "What with this Weaselstar nonsense, who knows what trouble BlackClan might decide to stir up."

As they neared the border, Maplepaw recoiled from the acrid scent of BlackClan. How can they stand it? she wondered, flicking out her tongue. It smells like pine sap and frog guts.

"Greetings." Maplepaw leapt back, claws already outstretched, and immediately ducked into an attack crouch. Scratchface was standing a few foxlengths away on his side of the border. A smoky gray tom stood at his side.

"Easy, Maplepaw," said Paletuft. "You have news?"

"StarClan has given me my leader name." Maplepaw glanced at his necklace of rat teeth and crow feathers. "This is my new deputy, Flitbird. Weaselclaw has moved into the nursery. Once her kits are apprenticed, she will be a BlackClan warrior once again."

"I'm surprised StarClan allowed it," said Goosefur, "but welcome, Scratchstar."

"Scratchstar," said Paletuft, dipping her head respectfully. "Thank you for bringing us the news."

Scratchstar nodded in return. "My deputy and I will be bringing the news to the other Clans today. We promise to stay within three tail-lengths of your border with the lake."

"Of course. And welcome, Flitbird."

They continued along the border, spraying brambles as they went.

"I really didn't think StarClan would be okay with it," mumbled Dapplecreek.

"It's not up to us to understand StarClan's ways," said Maplepaw. "Leave that to Yellowstar and Cloudstep."

Dapplecreek blinked at her in surprise. "That's a very mature thing to say."

Maplepaw shrugged. "I'm not a kit anymore," she said simply. "I'll be a warrior before you know it."

"Speaking of warriors..." Dapplecreek ushered Maplepaw onward. "I need your help with something after patrol."

Maplepaw yawned. "Can't I sleep first?"

"You won't want to miss this," said Dapplecreek. "Come on, let's get back to camp and tell Yellowstar the news."

Back in the ravine, Yellowstar called a meeting. "FireClan of Thunder forest," she yowled, "may the Ageless Ones bless you."

"May StarClan guide you," the Clan called back.

"Scrathstar is now leader of BlackClan. Flitbird is his deputy." To Maplepaw's surprise, her eyes were shadowed. I thought she'd be pleased, Maplepaw thought. Doesn't this mean we won't have to worry about Weaselstar--Weaselclaw, that is--trying to join FireClan?