CHAPTER 17

Sneaking out of camp would be harder than last time. Yellowstar had two camp guards at all times now, and the Clan deputy had a temporary nest near the entrance in case she needed to wake up in a hurry. But Jaggedclaw and Downtail had their backs turned as Mapledawn stared out from the warrior's den. They looked exhausted. Mapledawn suppressed a shiver as she realized how few warriors there were available for night watch. We have so few warriors, and no apprentices at all. A worm of fear uncoiled in Mapledawn's belly. There's me, Acorntail, Jaggedclaw, Downtail, Thrushflight, Dapplecreek... She blinked in surprise. And that's it. Thrushflight spent most of his time in the nursery anyway, now that his mate was there. Fallensnow liked to joke that Thrushflight was practically a queen. Her mate, Downtail, only visited his kits every day or two.

So much rested on her secret mission. We can't have more pointless battles! Checking that the guards' ears were still trained on the forest, not the camp, Mapledawn picked her way silently to the dirtplace and pushed through the tunnel behind.

It was a still, silent night, with a crisp tang to the air reminding Mapledawn that leaf-fall wasn't far off. She kept to the shadows; a nearly-full moon shone, making her white patches shine if she wasn't careful. A few times she paused, certain something was following her. But when she stood and scanned Thunder forest, nothing moved. Shrugging, Mapledawn continued to the scent line.

Gagging at the smell of pine sap and acrid BlackClan scent marks, she rolled around in the border until her pelt was drenched with BlackClan odor. There. At least now they won't scent me right away.

She padded cautiously through the strange trees with their quiet bristles that didn't murmur like Thunder's trees. As she walked, a pine needle stabbed the soft flesh of her paw pad. Stifling a curse, she held the paw and licked it furiously. Even after she fished out the pine needle, her pad still throbbed, making her limp awkwardly. Soon she came on an old, smooth path. An old twoleg path. Her pelt prickled. It was so open. She hurried across and stood panting back in the cover of trees, ears pricked. Satisfied all was quiet, she pushed on, following the stale scents of cats. BlackClan came through here. She could see a few paw prints in the dirt. This must be the way to their camp!

She leapt across the next open path, landing painfully on her wounded pad. It can't be far now. She stopped to taste the air; the scents were fresher here. Ahead, a dip cut between two hills, sheltered by low-hanging pine branches and thickly woven brambles. The camp! How can I get in? The thorn barrier would rip her pelt to shreds, and the tunnel entrance would be too obvious. She paced quietly around the camp. At one end, a nearly naked pine branch dipped down to the ground. Its bark was smooth, as if many paws had walked up and down it for years, and a lavish den crouched underneath. That must be their version of Highledge. It would be risky, but she didn't see any other choice. She'd have to climb down from the leader's perch, straight into the center of camp.

Mapledawn grasped the pine trunk in her foreclaws and shimmied down, careful not to dislodge any fresh needles. She landed on a soft covering of dry pine needles and looked frantically around the camp, trying to find their nursery. There--the most secure den in camp, set inside a mound of stone with thorns wrapping around it. It was furthest from the camp entrance. Mapledawn nodded appraisingly; it was the perfect place for the most vulnerable part of camp.

She sniffed the entrance cautiously. Weaselclaw! She recognized the she-cat's scent right away, and the warm, milky scent of her four kits snuggled in the nest. Thank StarClan, Mapledawn thought as she realized Weaselclaw was the only queen inside.

"What are--" Mapledawn slapped a paw across Weaselclaw's muzzle and shook her head.

"I just want to talk to you," she whispered. Weaselclaw narrowed her eyes distrustfully, but gave a curt nod. "You were wrong about Scratchface."