CHAPTER 5

Finally, my first Gathering. Maplepaw followed behind Frecklepaw and Wrenpaw in the middle of the patrol as FireClan made its way across the bridge to the Gathering island. The full moon cast a bright glare over the lake, turning its languid waves silver.

"Oh look, TallClan's here already." Jaggedclaw pointed with his black tail. Maplepaw craned her neck, trying to see. The island was full of bodies milling around each other. "BlackClan, too."

Yellowstar looked regal with her prey bone necklace catching the moonlight. Maplepaw felt proud to follow behind her. When the Clan leapt gracefully off the tree bridge and onto the island, Maplepaw almost gasped aloud at all the cats around her. Bloompaw was right. Her sister was back at camp, recovering from a long gash she'd gotten from a thornbush. Cloudstep said it'd be fine, but she needed to rest or it would reopen. Redpoppy had stayed behind to watch over her. I wish Bloompaw was here. Once, she'd done everything by Bloompaw's side, and though her sister was still her best friend, Maplepaw was getting used to doing things alone--or with Wrenpaw.

Yellowstar leapt to take her spot on one of the mighty branches of Moontree, just beside a skinny gray she-cat with old, patchy fur and yellow eyes. Beside the old cat was another she-cat, this one dark red with small, rounded ears. Maplepaw looked up at the leaders as she found a spot to six next to Wrenpaw.

"The old one's Swiftstar," explained Wrenpaw from behind. "The red one's Weaselstar. The light gray she-cat is TallClan's deputy, Lightfoot, and the wiry brown tom next to him is the BlackClan deputy, Scratchface."

"I see where he got the name," said Maplepaw with a purr. The brown tom's face was a patchwork of long, scraggly scars. "Where'd he get all those?"

"According to Heavypaw, he got them fighting off a giant fox. But that's probably a nursery story. More likely they're from BlackClan and CrookedClan old border skirmishes."

"What skirmishes?" Redpoppy always said the plans had been at peace since Softfeather was alive.

"Apparently they used to be pretty common." Wrenpaw shrugged.

"I'd like to see BlackClan try that with us." She flexed her claws. "I'd shred them."

Just then, the heavy scent of old water and fish drifted across the clearing. CrookedClan. Maplepaw recognized Troutstar, as well as Dustapple and Stonewhisker.

"It's starting," whispered Wrenpaw as Troutstar leapt to take his place by Swiftstar. A cat hissed behind them. Maplepaw flattened her ears as she turned to find Sunsplash glaring at her. Sorry.

"Greenleaf has blessed TallClan," began Swiftstar in a raspy voice. "Our prey heap is never empty. And we have two new warriors: Runninghare and Tinytail." At her proclamation, the entire island started chanting the new warriors' names. Maplepaw's pelt pricked. It'll be my turn soon. A lithe brown she-cat beamed under the praise, while a small gray-and-ginger she-cat looked down at her paws shyly.

"This is good news," said Troutstar smoothly. "StarClan has blessed our waters with fish, and our medicine cat, Petalheart, has recently taken Evepaw as an apprentice."

"FireClan is well, too. Our apprentice den is full. With StarClan's blessing, we'll have many new warriors in the coming moons."

Yellowstar dipped her head to Weaselstar. "And BlackClan?"

"My Clan is well." The Clan leader's orange eyes bored the crowd, seeming to rest on FireClan. "We have nothing to report." Warriors began whispering to each other.